Does anyone else keep a work diary for their horses?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Question in the title. So you can remember what you did when. My memory is rubbish at the moment, simply rubbish! So I started to log what I did.

Come tomorrow Saturdays ride will be forgotten. I know I went just not when.
I rode I think Tuesday or Wednesday, but forgotten the day already.
Lunged today so needs logging so I know she's had a field session.

Slight aside, another tablet has been dropped. I feel fine and back to 'normal' but my memory being this bad doesn't really sound 'normal'
Though my friend says she just hacks so because of that she knows what they did yesterday. Because I have a variety of stuff we do, I might not keep tabs.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Ive tried several years running to keep a diary of where we go and roughly how long, but I don't maintain it. As my routes vary so much it was very long winded to keep record exactly where we went unless I recorded road names or identity points.
This year I had a spare calendar and just write Ride Billy or Ride Chunky or Drive or Lunge. If like today I ride with one of the girls I note down who's ridden.
Mind I slipped this week with recording and I was trying to remember last night if I rode Tuesday. I remember riding Monday and Wednesday and Friday. I know I didn't ride Thursday. I just can't remember Tuesday.

Reactions: newforest

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Mind I slipped this week with recording and I was trying to remember last night if I rode Tuesday. I remember riding Monday and Wednesday and Friday. I know I didn't ride Thursday. I just can't remember Tuesday.

Haha, yes that's the trouble with keeping a diary, you swap remembering what you've done for remembering to update the diary! I'm rubbish, I don't remember what we did and I don't keep a diary day to day. However important events I always make sure to put in my calendar on my phone so I can look back and see, for eg, when Raf started his ulcer meds etc.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
It will just stop me lunging too often. I think once a week is more than ample. I might add one rein, two rein or poles.
As for routes, all ours have names that the yard as a whole uses and we add reverse or plus if doing an add on. So it's the identity point.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
As for routes, all ours have names that the yard as a whole uses and we add reverse or plus if doing an add on. So it's the identity point.
Same - but when I was out with someone who fell off and hurt herself and thought I might have to call the emergency services I realised I had no clue as to the actual name of the road we were near - I mean on the Balne ride, in the stubble field just past the house that has just been rented out with all the horses in the paddocks, would make perfect sense to anyone else on the yard, but probably not to someone directing the air ambulance lol.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Same - but when I was out with someone who fell off and hurt herself and thought I might have to call the emergency services I realised I had no clue as to the actual name of the road we were near - I mean on the Balne ride, in the stubble field just past the house that has just been rented out with all the horses in the paddocks, would make perfect sense to anyone else on the yard, but probably not to someone directing the air ambulance lol.
That's where my gps would come in or the words trace me because they can these days pretty easily.
Or goggle maps.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I posted about the traumatic ride at the time and someone suggested the OS Locate app, which I now have and have even used a couple of times to work out which direction I'm facing. I feel much safer with it as it gives me the map coordinates to pass on to the emergency services.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I did when we were prepping for big rides, but did it with my GPS so I only had to remember to switch it on/off. I so rarely lunge or school now I tend to remember those, it was more how many miles we'd done and had we put in a fast ride or hills and I can tell that from the GPS info.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I don't keep a riding diary but I think it's a good idea. And an excuse to buy a nice new shiny journal from the local shop........:D
We've had Zi coming up a year and I do wish I had kept a diary in some ways.
@newforest that sounds frustrating not remembering as well as you did. Mind you, I am bloomin forgetful these days. Think it's my "condition":p
:D:D

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
Yes, me, I keep one. I have to, I have been keeping a diary now for about the last 4 years, just to do mostly with all my animals as I am awful for forgetting when I last rode, when they need wormed, feet trimmed( although I go by the look now and not the "oh they have to be done every 6 weeks remarks":rolleyes: ) this goes for all of my animals, dog, cats, sheep , marley and Rummy. I will also put in important dates like the dentist, hairdresser(which I still managed to forget to go to a few weeks back, I had to ring and apologise:oops:) etc
I have noticed I am getting worse at remembering things but I think its because I have so much to remember:confused:;)

I also use track my hack app everytime I ride , even if just riding in the field as its good to know how long we have rode and I can check which days I rode, in case i forget to put it in my diary lol :p

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
My gps watch is ok. Then I start using it and wanting to update. I want max speed to be noted alongside current.
I cant be looking at it when I blast up the field, but I wouldn't mind knowing after.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
My gps watch is ok. Then I start using it and wanting to update. I want max speed to be noted alongside current.
I cant be looking at it when I blast up the field, but I wouldn't mind knowing after.
Can't you go back into the details and get all that after? mine syncs with my phone and I get loads more info on the app after than what the screen displays during the ride.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Can't you go back into the details and get all that after? mine syncs with my phone and I get loads more info on the app after than what the screen displays during the ride.
It's not linked to the phone. It's an old forerunner.
I want something that works independently though. I did have a brick gps years back but don't fancy lugging anything heavy.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
It's not linked to the phone. It's an old forerunner.
I want something that works independently though. I did have a brick gps years back but don't fancy lugging anything heavy.
which one is it? I have an old 101 and that gives a history even though it doesn't wifi link to my phone (I think, its been a while since I used it)

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
which one is it? I have an old 101 and that gives a history even though it doesn't wifi link to my phone (I think, its been a while since I used it)

Will need to look. Will let you know. It's black and watch shaped.
If it can give me a history of a ride that would be good.
It's just a bit of fun that I'd like to know how fast her little legs go.