Does anyone actually have a healthy horse?

Bobbin

Back in the saddle yeehaa
Feb 16, 2006
Seriously, would love to hear from someone who only ever see's the vet for jabs, teeth etc and not related to any ailment.

haha

I did have one kind of but he was sold in july, he had copd once but other than that from 6 -12 had no problems at all, no lameness , nothing lol

in nearly 20 years, the old git has had one abcess in his neck on a jab site (caused by vet!), one visit for colic, one for cellulitis and one when he had anargument with a pony on the other side of a fence and cut one leg badly.

not bad going i think!

ETA - i've certainly come out on the right side not being insured for vet fees.

Until Tavia's ligament injury I'd never had to make a claim in 14 years of having horses.

Other than that had a few scrapes and cuts - couple requiring stitches and antibiotics but nothing really awful.

Can't remember the last time the vet last came. Probably for tetanus jabs last summer. Teeth were checked a few months ago by the dentist.
I don't do flu jabs after a previous horse had a reaction which led to hypersensitivity and head shaking.

Ember is barefoot, treeless, bitless, out as much as possible, only natural forage feed, stable evnironment with friends, massage and chiropractic checks every 6 months for maintenance

old owner said Cass had never seen the vet apart from jabs
and since shes been with me she hasnt either *touches wood* (mind you, its only 13 days)

I have often wondered what that would be like...I mean Grady wasn't a sick horse but I only had him for 8 months, these days I have the vet on speed dial!

well Loki definately cannot be included....although touch wood at the mo he is healthy.

Sofi is 100% healthy touch wood and in her whole life has only seen the vet for jabs

Bubbles is healthy for her age and usually only sees the vet for jabs

um, yeah, so far only had vet out for jabs, passport ID's routine dental checks and castration. nothing else. farrier only comes to trim and shoe. no probs there touch wood. so so far so good with all four ponies

Joy isn't being worked at the moment as she has become very girthy. I have the physio coming out to investigate on Tuesday.

Well, aside of Rio's little LGL episodes this summer neither of mine have been any bother and I've never had to call the vet to either of them for anything other than boosters *also touches wood* :) They've had a busy summer and are both fairly fit and in good condition.

Rosie and Joseph are healthy - but they're young of course. And accident prone. They've both had vet visits for cuts - but there again, that's my (gradually being replaced)fencing to blame. Of the two, joePony is likely to stay healthy and Rosie is likely to be high manintenance. Although she hasn't needed vet visits, she's not built strongly, and when chiropractors visit to check everyone over, they pull a long face at Rosie.

Tiny Pony, although we've only had her a year, is a 100% perfect pony, healthwise. She sees the trimmer every 8 weeks, and it's pretty much a training exercise for her - her feet don't need it. She's never had her teeth done ... back is perfect, she's strong ... she's the perfect pony. Now, if only I could stay on her ....

Jessy has not been seriously ill since I bought her. One hoof abcess and a minor bout of colic in two and a half years is not too bad I think.*runs off to knock on wood*

*touches every piece of wood in sight* toby is pretty healthy. Never had a day's sickness. only vets bills are routien for vaccs. his back niggles from time to time but now i do reiki on him it's not a problem :) kes isn't much bother either. He's had 1 call out for (very mild) colic. I think that was a slight over reaction on my part. Vet came to find me bawling my eyes out convinced he'd got grass sickness like bonnie had :eek: :(

Scared to write this as I may tempt fate!!!
36 years old PB Arab Chestnut mare, had her since she was 4 - Sees vet for jabs and teeth. Once had minor pneumonia, but she still insisted on being turned out and once had colic. It must be in the genes!!

newrider.com