dodgy ebayer

dcp

Mar 31, 2005
Scotland
www.freewebs.com
Today I bought a fly mask for Charlie off ebay. When I went to pay for it instead of taking me to my paypal account it automatically takes me to the sellers website and ask me to pay through it. I thought that was strange to start with. Then on that website you can choose whether to use paypal doesn't this sound strange? I mean why not just let me use my paypal account in the first place. I emailed them and they asked to to pay through their website.

I have emailed ebay but do I have to buy this? Problem is he really needs one and I don't want to hang about.

slightly ot

Sounds like it might be easier to just buy one from your local tack shop;) I've seen a horsey magazine somewhere this month where they're giving every reader one for free? Only trouble is, can't remember which mag it was:eek:

Sounds very strange I would ask them to send you a Paypal request dont put your loggin details on there website as it maybe tracking your info.
I am surprised it let them set it up that way actually.

I had that for a wristband for my friend, and we did it because it was a "secure site" and it was all fine....see what eBay say though...:confused:

I wouldn't worry at all if the seller has a good feedback profile. Its not that unusual and I have been taken to several sellers own sites at the payment stage. They usually do offer Paypal there, but also other methods which are more convenient for some buyers. With legit sellers, it just means they already have an online shop, but are listing some stuff through ebay.

I have paid like this a few times and have had no problems.

I'd think you wouldn't have to buy it, but if you don't you risk getting negative feedback. If it is from a genuine seller who has good feedback and you can pay through paypal then I'd go ahead. Don't you have some kind of cover if things go wrong if you use paypal?

Also check their history. See what they have sold before etc. I'm sure you can do that.

I've had this happen too.......normally with my OH's kite buggying stuff. Its ok.....just the larger shops seem to do it. Never had any problems, and actually these days would rather trust a larger seller than smaller ones, as they have more of a reputation and business to uphold:)

provided it takes you into the paypal account it doesnt matter how you access it (just check the actual paypal address comes up when you are asked to put in your paypal password etc). I suspect they've set it up that way so that its a nice diversion to their own website - which of course means they dont incur ebay listing fees for those items.

My techie OH says err on the side of caution. It is poss to have their own secure payment pages but you have to be sure they're who they meant to be etc.

The whole point of Ebay is to pay via them and then they get commission on the sale - so if you pay seperately it doesn't make sense - how do Ebay gain?

becs said:
The whole point of Ebay is to pay via them and then they get commission on the sale - so if you pay seperately it doesn't make sense - how do Ebay gain?

Ebay charge you a listing fee for putting it on in the first place (whether it sells or not) then a further final fee once the item has been sold (regardless of how or even IF its sold - you have to claim a credit if your buyer then doesnt pay).

Paypal is a seperate company. They make their money by charging the person receiving the money a percentage. You can use paypal through ebay or not and lots of other companies - such as www.dressagediagrams.com use paypal as a means of receiving money.

It doesnt matter how you end up at the paypal site - even if the ebay seller directs you via their own website PROVIDED it does redirect you to the genuine paypal site and this is what you have to look out for.

The address should come up as www.paypal.com. Beware anything else - such as www.signinpaypal.com for example as this will be a fake site set up purely to extract your log in details.

Hope that helps.:D

Last edited:
newrider.com