Do your horses put their ears back at....

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Different species? Storm is currently putting her ears back to "see off" a Herdwick sheep (will post pics later - said sheep is a lovely creature). It works for a while then the sheep returns - she thinks she can share Storm's net which is hung in the arena (both girlies are in there for the afternoon as vet just wanted Chloe to have a small amount of field turnout today after her episode). So funny - she does it to Mr Gillies my hacking pheasant too!!!!
Do your horses see off other animals?

Belle doesn't she's just curious as a rule, Oscar used to seriously chase the goat we have at our yard, we were in our indoor school one day loose schooling when the goat decided to join us, well Oscar went for it big time ears flat back, teeth bared full on aggressive get out of here body language and he wasn't going to take prisoners! Never seen the goat move so fast.

Dolly doesn't seem to mind anything in her field but the donkeys are another matter altogether. They are OK with my dogs, so long as the dogs keep their distance. But neighbour's dogs get chased out of the field, and if they don't run fast enough the donkeys try very hard to stamp on them. They would kill them given the chance, that is certain.:frown:

They are used in some parts of the world to run with large herds (horses) and protect them from wild dogs, they have an inbuilt instinct to chase them off or kill them if necessary.

None of the horses in the field take any notice of dogs - except Ziggy. He is fine with them when we are out, but when they are in his field he gets cross and will chase them off with pinned ears and an angry shake of the head. He rarely objects to anything but this is something he has definite views on!

My pony Cherie will 'see off' anything. In the past I have seen her and my dog band together to get rid of stray dogs in the field that have been chasing other horses. She also likes to 'see off' large tractors and lorries when we happen to meet them in the road eek!

I try to tell her they are bigger and stronger and she must be sensible but 'no dice' no wonder I am a nervous wreck out hacking with her.

We have another mare on our yard, very pretty and better conformation than said 'black pony' she is also a bit quirky and me and my friend thought this might be a challenge for Cherie and something that might possibly knock black pony off her 'perch'. We haven't put them out together for obvious reasons. I asked my YO how it was going the other day.....she said, Cherie is definitely in charge, bless.

Papillon has grown up seeing all sorts. Currently there is a mini Shetland, peacocks, white peacocks, chickens, various dogs, sheep, goats, a camel, alpacas and two donkeys. The mule died a couple of months back. I honestly think if an elephant appeared at the farm he's hardly give it a second glance.

In Egypt, I saw a donkey break up a fight between two feral-looking farm dogs. It just barged between them, kicked a bit, then when they skulked off in opposite directions, it calmly went back to grazing. Hilarious!

Friend of mine had a horse that would round up and pin the sheep in a corner of the field, it would also grab the fleece on the backs if they got too close.

I have seen my boy chase off one of the cows when it came into his field.

Mini Shetland chases the chickens, he charges at them with his head down.

Big lad dosnt bother with them, but the normal reaction to sheep and cows whilst out hacking is ears forward followed by emergency stop, followed by spin around then gallop as fast as possible in opposite direction :cold:

Yes! My mare especially will warn off any other animal initially and only some will she get used to in time as long as dont crowd her space.

The other one will be more curious yet freaked out!

newrider.com