Do you think my head is trying to tell me something?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Over the last few months, i've had some really random dreams about my job.. one involved a small Lion that wouldn't stay out of my home, I kept chucking him out, he kept jumping back in through the front door. Talking with a couple of work colleagues we came to the conclusion the Lion represented my boss.
Another, my manager fired me with no good reason, and wouldn't take me back.. the most recent, I fell out with someone else at work, and I told them, I wasn't capable of doing the job they asked, and I wanted a transfer..
I think my job is playing on my mind too much :unsure:
Time for a change of direction maybe?

It does sound as if you are feeling uncertain or insecure/anxious about something.

It all revolves around work.. i'm in a new(ish) role and feel like someone has turned the light off and I can't find my way :unsure:
I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the hassle... on saying that though, I have my train the trainer certificate stating I passed the course, could lead to bigger things, but my confidence in myself has fell on it's face :frown:

I think it's quite common to feel a bit 'lost' in a new role. Could you go to your boss and tell him you need some support and mentoring? In my opinion it's better to be proactive and ask for guidance rather than struggle along and wait until your manager steps in and tells you you're not doing it right!

I think its always daunting, taking on a new role, I expect you will be 'feeling for your feet' for a while but that doesn't mean you are not capable, or have taken on to much, any thing new takes time to adjust too. You have had quite a lot on with Shadow being ill as well, so subconsciously you are probably feeling a bit shaken, hence the odd dreams. Hopefully everything will settle down and you will be happy in your new role in a month or two.

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit overwhelmed DS! As others have said, it is quite normal to feel a little lost when you're in a new role.

I moved jobs just over a year ago, doing the same thing but in a different industry. I went from being the "go-to" person, if you wanted to know how something worked/who someone was/how to get info out of a system/just needed to raid a stash of food, to being the newbie who knew nothing/no-one/hadn't built up a stash of goodies. For the first six months I felt like I didn't have the first clue what I did all day, like I was just drifting. As time has gone on, I've found my feet and am starting to build up some knowledge.

If this job is really what you want to do and your manager is supporting you, then just give it time and it will all come right. However, if you think your worry is more because you don't think this is what you want to do, looking around never hurt anyone :wink:

I have learnt to take no notice of my dreams. I dream in a very vivid way and when I was pregnant my dreams turned to nightmares. They focused around someone trying to kill my children. In one nightmare which I had over and over again, someone locked me and my son in a house and set fire to it, and no-one would let us out because I was pregnant. In another, random people would shoot us and we didn't know who to trust because friends and family suddenly produced guns and killed us.

I went to my doctor and she said that they are obviously a sign of stress, but that it was up to me to separate the dreams from reality. They were only dreams and did not reflect what was happening to me in real life.

My advice is to try and forget them and focus on your day to day job. They don't mean anything, you cannot make sense of dreams and shouldn't even try. It's always hard to start a new job, and it is natural that you have doubts in yourself. Just work hard and do the very best that you can. Take each week as it comes and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

I think it means you're going to get a job in a zoo!!!!!!

No, seriously I think work must really be preying on your mind - are things not going too well?

The one with the lion was a strange one, as it was in a place I haven't lived in in nearly 15 years.
There is a lot of stress involved in this, up until a couple of weeks ago, management were piling the pressure on my team, as they wanted to see the new machine perform, and really pushed us all to succeed. The last 2 months have been extremely tough.
I think i'm going to go on another course at work, which hopefully will help me find the confidence I need to do my job. Thanks guys :smile:

newrider.com