Do you think I'm too big?

TracyandJesse

I have just bought my daughter an adorable but chunky 13.1hh Appy mare; do you think I'd be ok to ride her too I'm 5ft 2in and weigh 9st 7lb. Both the pony and myself need to go on a diet I know, but should I lose a bit of weight first?:)

Last edited:
I have just bought my daughter an adorable but chunky 13.1hh Appy mare; do you think I'd be ok to ride her too I'm 5ft 2in and weigh 9st 7lb. Both the pony and myself need to go a diet I know, but should I lose a bit of weight first?:)

I'm an inch taller, weigh the same and ride the same size pony, who is not really chunky. He seems pretty happy.:)

I just know my 13.2 & 13.3 hand haflingers wouldn't even know you were on their back. I weigh a few more stones than you and am 5'9 and they can go all day long.

pit of a 'piece of string' job without either some clue as to her build OR a photo, there's a good chance she'll be fine, but hard to say otherwise

im 5'2 and i ride my aunt's ponies they dont seem to mind so go and have fun =]

l_1ca8eff3ce7c4c30b3ec2a6b07ae2fb9.jpg

otherdayatthebarn067.jpg

pit of a 'piece of string' job without either some clue as to her build OR a photo, there's a good chance she'll be fine, but hard to say otherwise

Well she did say chunky, so I can't see her being chunky and fine:confused:

Go on a diet??? I wish I was that weight! I'm around 10 stone and have ridden Welsh ponies comfortably from about 12hh upwards.

have fun

my snowy is 12-2hands or maybe 13 hands at the moste i im abiot 125 pounds and she carries me happly! you should be grate on her good luck and injoy !

Thanks everyone, I did jump on my daughter's pony yesterday and she was absolutely fine. I didn't go to far or too fast because she's a little unfit at the moment anyway, but I'm sure between myself and my daughter, we'll be able to improve on that over the next few weeks.

Hi you will be fine,i have got a Welsh x Cob who is 13.1 and a 14hh Fell.Iam only 5ft but i weighed 11st 6lb when i first got the welsh xcob and he carried me no problem,but i did feel i was to heavy for him myself so i decided to lose weight so iam 9st 2lb now.

newrider.com