Do you think I could teach Ale to longline?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Hmm it's something I have been thinking about doing. Over the years I have taught him to lunge, I don't lunge very often because I think all the circles might put strain on his leg, but he's very good now.

So I thought maybe I should give long lining a try. I guess I would need to get another lunge line, what sort of length do you need for a 14hh pony?

And I'd need to get a roller or something for the lines to go through. I would start out around the yard and in the school but is it safe to long line on roads? Presumably it is but I never see anyone doing it? If all went well that is obviously!

I think its a good idea! I like long lining lol.
Generally people on yards just go with 2 normal size lunge lines. Me personally I have it with the lunge lines trailing only because I get tangled up with them otherwise!

People use a various range of stuff. You can really long line with just a bridle and two lunge lines! Not really 'recommended' though. I generally go for a bridle with the reins off. A nunmah folded in half and a rollar, normally a friends!:p and away we go :) I started off in the school and up until 2013 I didn't know how to long line! Luckly sox is a pro! Best to start of in the school or on the yard. In terms of the road if you go you need someone else on foot to watch for traffic etc :) That normally comes down to me! I am chief traffic person when others are long lining.

Reactions: Stamper
I did a bit of long-reining with Hebe - I used a saddle, with run-up stirrups to put the reins through. I started by lungeing on two reins, because she knew about lunging, then gradually straightened out. It only took a couple of sessions before I learned not to tangle myself up on the reins ...

Yeah go for it, I long line on quieyer roads once they have the hang of it, or lead them past the main road then hook the long lines on when we get to the quieter bit.

I love long reining, it is good for you and the pony. I would definitely give it a go. Richard Maxwell and Kelly Marks both have good explanations of how to do it in books, and I bet there's loads on YouTube.

Thank-you everyone, would be interesting to see if he could be taught. Thanks for the links I will check them out and get another lunge rein and a roller off eBay. Will be something to try over the coming months and if I'm ever at a yard with off road hacking I could take him out and about.

Look forward to seeing how you go on Ale. I'm waiting on a roller/surcingle to come in the mail (are they the same?) so that I can start long-lining Jaxen. Also a cavesson to teach the basic shoulder in,haunches in etc.

If you lunge with two reins, longreining is lunging in a straight line.
I have a book which covers it but the best way to learn is to get a feel yourself.
I also enjoy it.
I don't choose my roads unless I had a person upfront, blind bends.

Thanks everyone, I'm popping to Robinson's soon to get a new hat so will get a roller and another lunge line then, we will see how we go!

There are different styles of longlining for different purposes. Often, with young horses, I find letting the longlines come directly back to my hands without going through a roller or anything is best - because I have a very 'open' inside rein which works well to keep the horse relaxed and loose and gives a great emergency stop if needed. But, the downsides are you need to be capable at handling the spare rope, it is less neat than when it is held by roller/stirrups, and it does come round the back of the horse so the horses hind leg action does travel down the rein. I do actually like to use that as an advantage in some ways, for straightening the horses body so that hind end is not swinging out which can happen in circle work in a bigger space, and for asking for lateral movements with the outside rein influencing the outside hind leg directly if you get the timing right. This is my preferred method to start - always in a round pen or secure arena. You should do some prep work first, making sure the horse is relaxed with the feel of the lines. I have a short video about starting the horse off on longlines somewhere on Intelligent Horsemanship website, but I think you may have to be a member to see it and other educational vids (£25 a year).

Your body positioning is crucial as is quick but soft timing with your hands, so if you are new to it and so is your horse I would definitely recommend getting someone experienced to come and longline first for you and get you going. Obviously I am going to mention that this is something IHRA's can do, but there are also plenty of other avenues - some BHS instructors can longline, and lots of classical dressage instructors can too - but try and look at some video of them longlining before getting them involved as there are lots of different techniques and bad longlining can be so detrimental. The thing I think you want to be most wary of is heavy constant pressure down the reins, which is some peoples preferred style - this can not possible be good for developing a soft, happy mouth, so avoid at all costs!

Best of luck,

newrider.com