Do you think horse owners are good at getting by..

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
And by that I mean finding a solution or a way round a problem.

I know lots of horse owners and lots of non horse owners and I have to say for the most part I notice a difference between the 2 groups. I think owning a horse is a really good way to learn to adapt and overcome different challenges, not just in horse ownership but every day life.

Yesterday for example my exhaust bracket broke and thus my exhaust was hanging off my car. I just used my shoelaces to tie it back on so I could get home. My boyfriend said he would have never thought of that. Obviously that doesn't come directly from being around horses, but I sort of think it's just from learning to think of a solution. I was even looking in my car in case I had some baler twine šŸ¤£

What do you think, has owning your horse led to any improvement on your problem solving and finding solutions to things?

This thread is just light-hearted and meant for fun btw. I know everyone has different strengths really but it's just interesting to think about the skills you learn around horses that you use in everyday life.

I managed to impale my trailer on a gate post and trashed the wheel arches. Robins rider got out some bailer twine and tied it back on enough to get us home as it was dragging on the wheel!

Car going wrong? I panic and ring the nice rac person šŸ˜‚

Reactions: MrA and Kite_Rider
I've learnt loads since keeping horses - particularly having them home and having to find solutions one way or another to fix problems that crop up. Many of the horse people I've met are good at finding a way around stuff too (though Frances is right, there are those that can't see past the end of the BHS manual). I'm more than happy to use baler twine in all manner of situations lol If baler twine won't work, well then, there's always a lead rope..........................hehehe. @Ale that was good thinking on your part using shoe laces!

Reactions: MrA and Kite_Rider
Iā€™m of the mind that you are probably a practical person or you are not, maybe itā€™s the other way around and the people who are inclined to think things through in a practical way are the people who get horses/animals?
Iā€™ve always been a practical and a make do and mend kind of person, but I blame my parents for that as thatā€™s just how I was brought up. I also find that most things can be solved with baling twine, gaffa tape or a big hammer! šŸ˜

Iā€™m of the mind that you are probably a practical person or you are not, maybe itā€™s the other way around and the people who are inclined to think things through in a practical way are the people who get horses/animals?
I've never thought of it that way! You could well be right you know.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I really think the bhs way is the total opposite isn't it. I'm not saying it's not useful but there is one way to do everything and if you don't do it that way then it's wrong. It's very old fashioned, some of it.

I think this is probably pretty accurate, and to whittle it down even more, thereā€™s also some with horses who would never consider diy to be a horse keeping option for them. Iā€™m not talking about those who work long hours, but those who couldnā€™t/wouldnā€™t look after their own.
On the whole though we are a pretty ingenious bunch, we may not always succeed in our efforts to solve a problem but weā€™ll give it a crack!

Reactions: Trewsers
This is a great conversation :). I donā€™t know how to answer because both sides of my family farmed and had cattle & horses.

Improvising is second nature to me. Plus dad got a wrench in my hand before mom could get a frying pan in it. I learned to think things theu at a young age, like it or not šŸ˜‚

I think the big issue is people who have a serious lack of common sense. They may be a genius at their job but the smarts end there- I have worked with a few engineers who were ā€œso smart they were stupidā€ šŸŒŗ

Reactions: Trewsers
I think dealing with lots of different horses and having to find solutions for them helps you think out of the box at work and be a bit more creative with solutions in other areas of your life. I mean just worming my team, I have 3 different methods depending on who the candidate is, the ones who will eat it in their feed, the ones who will eat it in mint sandwiches, and the ones who have to be tied up tied and have their mouths opened forcibly (hate that but they have already refused options 1 and 2 and with one of them i got to option 3 immediately as it works for him, then he gets a treat afterwards to say sorry. So you can apply that to people as some some like to be coaxed, some will just say no whatever. And repair and mend definitely. Plus I think given you spend so much on horses you tend to be more frugal in other areas of your life. i.e. just done my kitchen, Ā£300 worth of paint, yes i had to pay a lot for a new floor and worksurfaces, but just by dong a paint job kept the costs down hugely.

Reactions: Lollykay
I'm considered the practical and low maintenance one among some of my close friends but I wouldn't say that necessarily means I'm particularly practical šŸ¤£

I probably wouldn't know how to actually mend something with a hammer for example... Actually, I don't own a hammer. Or any tools come to think of it.

I'm pretty good at thinking laterally and outside of boxes though.

@Jessey would put me to shame, any day!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
I think if you own a horse, or possibly any animal, you have to think outside the box. You canā€™t just follow one way of doing things blindly no matter what.

As long as it is safe, and it just might work, you give it your best shot And if it works, excellent and if it doesnā€™t, well at least you tried. Just tidy up the carnage and try another method. Always learn from the mistakes.

I think riding a horse demands some sort of competence but so do other things in life. Including bringing up children.
If one's father was practical, an engineer or a carpenter and fixer, one will have learned practical skills as a child.

But it isnt only animals - Children in UK state schools learn things like mentoring sports or in churches helpng out with small children in religion schools. And they then get certificates linked to NVQ. Valid in EU and sometimes as significant on a job application as O and A levels. Duke of Edinburgh awards, similarly challenging. And cheaper than owning a horse.

My Dad is a engineer and I've definitely not learnt or inherited any of his practical skills šŸ¤£

This thread has actually got me wondering if there is some kind of DIY skills for beginners course, I could go on.

NVQs (level dependent) can be equal to a degree. Mine is the equivalent to A levels - although I did A levels as well, alongside. I'm not susurely say I learnt any hugely practical life skills during the course though - only what was relevant to the course.

I was brought up with the goats and cattle so i gained my practical skill with them. Getting the horse only happened in later life.

When i was on the yard, my electric fencing skill was far more practical than my yard owner who'd been keeping horses for years, thats for sure. It used to make me laugh i put up a fence and my horses stayed put. They put up a fence it was always slack and within two days there horses would be over it.

I consider myself practical to a degree. Things like building objects i can do, but probably wouldnt last long term. Im more hands on and practical than academic thats for sure. Although over the years what education skills i had because i havent used them ive found ive forgot loads too.

newrider.com