Do you parents hassle you about grandchildren?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I am getting a bit miffed now, my mother is constantly on about having grandchildren, and that's she's not going to have them, I'm 25! Give me a chance!
She didn't have me till she was 26 so I don't know why she expects me to have them yet.

Mine have given up :p my mum is a little more sensitive about it as because i have a blood disorder, having kids may be impossible or at best very difficult. Pressure has eased off now they have my cousin to spoil! i find there is more pressure from peers who are married, have kids etc. They think you are some kind of leper as you don't have their perfect little lives!!

I didn't give mine long enough to... I was pregnant 4 months after I got married! :giggle:

But it would never occur to me to ask my two remaining children who haven't sprogged yet.... it's there business. I do love my granddaughter and she is showing signs of being very interested in ponies :wavespin:

Nope, thats what older sisters are for - my parents have their hands full with my two nephews so I'm off the hook. Although I do joke about them needing to give Flipo equal attention to their other grandchildren.

I did...but now because of hormone imbalance causing issues in that department she has stopped. My poor younger sister is now the target :giggle:

She had me at 30 and Sis at 33....I'm only 31 and sis is 28 so she is still using the I'm not even as old as you were comment.

Poor Mum she just wants someone to spoil and talk about with her friends who are grandparents :smile:

My mother is desperate for me to find a boyfriend, desperate for me to get engaged, desperate for me to get married and double desperate for me to have kids! No pressure then!

It's made it worse that my best mate has just had a little one and my cousin (the golden girl) is pregnant and all my friends are getting married. She thinks theres something wrong with me...so do I sometimes...:unsure:

I'm only 25

Mine never said anything to me. I lived with J for 3.5 years before we got married and then it was another 3.5 years before our daughter was born when I was 28. That was the average age of first time mums back then and I think the average age has gone up in the past 9 years.

My mum doesn't - I wind her up about the ponies being grandkids :giggle:

OHs mum though... whole other kettle of fish - decided to ask and discuss when we are having kids in the middle of a house viewing with total strangers in the room :eek::eek:

Thankfully I have dodged that bullet being the youngest! My sister has 2 kids and my brother 1 and trying for another so there's plenty for my parents to spoil!!

Not really, it does get mentioned every now on then but more because mum had 'issues' carrying pregnancies and she's just concerned that if I leave it later I'll have issues and obviously the issues caused her a lot of emotional pain she'd rather I didn't go though.

She does refer to Henry as her 'Grandhorse' :D

ETA: I'm 28, OH is 32 and we've been together 3ish years

Not mine, she knows how much I've always hated children. I think she was a bit gutted when my brother split up with his long-term partner though, I think she was hoping things were on the horizon. Luckily she has several great nieces and nephews to spoil. The in-laws are another matter but sister-in-law has finally married her boyfriend of 10 years and was pregnant before being back from honeymoon so focus off me hopefully.

Personally, having been through the trauma of raising your own kids, I don't know what parents think they will get out of grandchildren apart from being a free babysitting service.

No, my parents don't hassle me at all. I am 26 and have only been in one relationship, and have very little desire to be in one for now! They understand that IF I have kids, it is still a long way off. My sister is 28 and in a long-term relationship but also has no desire for kids. Our parents seem perfectly happy with this, they have always supported our choices and this is no different.

Are you kidding me??? I spend my whole time going 'you'd better not bloody well make me a grandma for at least another 10 years, possibly 20!' I want my kids to go and experience life to the full, get their careers really secure and have a bit of maturity and life experience before they have children. Granted they are quite young (very late teens) but several of their friends have children already :redface:. Ill love my grandchildren to bits and intend to spoil them rotton and be very involved but Im only just getting rid of my kids - Id like a break for a bit of life of my own for a few years before I settle down to enjoying the grandkids!

nope, but then my parents didn't really get the chance to as I had my first child when i was 19 and my last when I was 28

Saying that they have never badgered my older sister about it either (she is 43, been happily married for the last 20 odd years and has no children)

My parents love having grandkids but i think they are also secretly pleased that we have now stopped producing them!

My brother's wife has sprogged so I think the heat is off for me. It was never on really because I don't give them chance to meddle that much in my life any more. My mum buys presents for my dog and posts them though so I think he might be Granddog.

In laws keep going on and on about OH and I having another baby. They've put in an order for a boy this time :lol: We'll see, I think trying for another will be on the cards soon tbh.

newrider.com