Do you have riding lessons?

-Autumn leaves

Nov 28, 2010
Who here has riding lessons? :happy:

If you do, how much do you pay for them?

I am looking to have riding lessons on Melly as I have a lot of things I want to improve on and progress my riding skills.

I've just e-mailed Justin and Beth Tuff who own Redpost near me about their charges and i'm scared for a reply haha! They are going to be very pricey. I suppose that's what you get when you ask a top, famous rider for lessons! :redface:

Yes i have a riding lesson every sunday at a school in Sheffield. I pay £14 if i am in a class with 3 of us. Thats for 30 minutes.

During the winter i was on my own in the class and paid £17.00 for 30 minutes. I dont mind having lessons in a group or on my own .

£20 for half an hour £30 for an hour... once a month is enough for us - takes us a while between her being under the weather and lots of practice to get fairly good at our homework so gap suits us

I pay £30 an hour for lessons with my BD accredited trainer. It's the best investment as she not only 'gets' my way of thinking but she is fantastic with my horses. I'm a completely different rider now to what i was 5 years ago. worth every penny!!!

I really don't think it matters how famous the instructor is, they have to understand you and your horse. I've had lessons with lots of people and some have been complete disasters. One BHSI well known in our area reduced my cob to a quivering wreck with her military-style yelling! others have been quiet but completely ineffective. I'd book a few taster lessons with as many local instructors as you can and see who suits. Or if you know a friend who is taught by someone you want to try go along and watch their lesson. That's how i discovered my trainer :)

Mine used to be £12 for three quarters of a hour (used to get much longer in reality tho) and OH's (when we moved yards and he had jumping lessons etc) were £25 for three quarters.

I haven't had a lesson in years, and I've come to the conclusion I probably won't bother again! I have found my mojo with Storm and we love what we do in the school and I don't care how pretty or unpretty we are together - plus I don't think for a minute I'm doing a lot wrong - ie, hurting her with my position or anything like that. Each to their own though, when OH gets another horse we'll probably have lessons then cos we'll most likely need plenty of help!!!

I have two lessons a week - one jumping and one flat. Sometimes only have one if very busy with work and stuff as I don't like to have them on the weekend.

An hour is £25 and when we jump we generally do 45 minutes for £20. I usually go to my RI's yard as she has a huge school which is great. I have individual lessons so get a lot out of them. Sometimes my RI jumps Izzy for schooling.

I used to get lessons at Ingliston Equestrian and that was £30 for 45mins. It was seme private in that just my friend and I. If either of us could not make it we could get a half hour lesson for the same price.

I also had lessons on my old loan horse from my YO at the time. She was £10 per half hour.

I have now started having lessons on Caymen, it is £10 per half hour (mates rates!), she is a qualified instructor and understands me and my horse as she also schools him for me. She is an amazing rider and it is fantastic to see what my boy can do.

She has pushed me waaaaay out my comfort zone and made me realise that I CAN do it and our hard work is paying off. She even had me jumping him, I have owned Caymen 9 months and had not dared to jump, I loved it. She put the poles up to 85cm. I told her I couldnt do it. She said I could. I did it and it was possibly the best moment of my life!!!

Getting the right instructor is really important.

I pay £15 for 45 mins with my dressage instructor, she travels to me. She is fantastic value and an excellent instructor. She gets my way of thinking and we have the same values and priorities.

I don't keep my horse on a yard, so when he is in work (and ont recovering from colic) I have a lesson a week at my RI's yard, 45 mins hack away. She is £30 for 45 minutes (often more like an hour) and is superb. I love my lessons and wouldn't do without them. When Z is home and recovering and I have a bit more time, I will have lessons on Mattie instead, but that will have to be at a closer school as the round trip would be a bit much for him.

I have been doing my own thing in western style riding for about a year now but recently got an instructor in for £30/hour to bring us on a bit as I was struggling with leg yielding. She had spotted my problem after 10 mins and identified another issue for me to work on that I hadn't really noticed until she mentioned it.

Well worth it and if she is available I would have her over once a month but she is very busy so I will be happy with exercises to work on in my own time.

My lessons are £10 for half an hour group (up to about 8) and £18 for an hour group.

Private lessosn are £18 for half an hour and £27.00 for an hour.

These are all with rs horses as I don't have one of my own :(

Thank you for all of your inputs!

Yes getting the right instructor is definitely what you have to do, but I don't have my own sandschool and the only one around is at Redpost where Justin and Beth teach. So going to have to go with them if I can, I was just worried about pricing because of their 'status' :unsure: and also because i'm not the best rider in the world! It's going to be embarassing! :redface:

When I'm at my dads, I have lessons at a riding school with really good, friendly instructors on nice, calm, well behaved, confidence giving ponies. It cost £14 for a half an hour private lesson. Then, when I'm at my mams I've been looking for an instructor for dressage lessons an I was told about a woman who gives lessons I eventig and dressage, lessons from her are £35 per hour (but she usually teaches for about an hour and a half apparently) and £5 to hire the arena at her yard. :biggrin:

£26 hour group lesson - me Free in return for mucking out 13 horses and running yard on sunday... sure i am being ripped off lol

I have my horse in livery at a yard that is also a riding school. They charge £30 for a half hour individual lesson on a RS horse/pony or £25 half hour on own horse.

Pretty expensive methinks :cry:

I'm having weekly lessons for 3 months to rebuild my confidence then will prob have once a month to keep up improvement (hopefully).

I had my first riding lesson in 6 years, I was knackered, but it was fab! Gave me a direction, and what I thought was pants was quite good, was better than two hours in the gym!!

Instructor travels to our yard, lesson was on my pone, £15 for 30 mins, polos for pone free ;o)

newrider.com