Do you have lessons?

Sunshine-x

Jul 31, 2008
I was just wondering how many of you had regular riding lessons?
I can't have had a proper lesson in about 4 years I would say and am thinking about having a couple again. I've had the odd informal lesson from a couple of people I know who have given me a few pointers (international sjer and eventer) but thinking about trying to get back into it. The problem I have is that I am always schooling young/green horses and thus trying to work them properly more than me. I think it would be nice to have a few lessons on a schoolmaster where I can focus on just me.
So how often do you have lessons, which discipline and what benefit do you think you get out of them? Are they on your own horse or a schoolmaster and what level would you say they are?

I guess I have about 4/6 a year with back up and homework. I LOVE them. Usually on my guys, but I do have schoolmaster lessons too. I drive

I have weekly lessons. Now mostly on Ginger but switch to Chanter every so often so I can concentrate on me. The change up but are mostly flat work/poles still as he is still young but I have jumping lessons on Chanter

As a happy hacker, my only aim is to be able to ride out on my hairy 4x4 safely, and for us both to enjoy ourselves.

As long as I can do that then I'm happy and have no need for lessons as I'm meeting my only ambition. Riding for me isn't about sport or work. Its all about pleasure for Joy and I.

Id like to have some proper driving lessons, I havent driven now for about 3 years, and certainly not competed for ALOT longer ! Ive got 2 prospects to gentle to drive this year and hopefully if they take to it I can get someone in to make us look all posh!

Yes I do!! Since June ( when I got kitty) before then I hadn't had one since I was about right years old- I'm 28 this feb:/!!! I have weekly lessons and I honestly have to say they have changed my life, so many things now make sense and light bulbs have gone off and on light the paparazzi- I owe so much to my RI and I now consider her a friend.. She's seen me at my lowest must panicky points with kitty and I think you can't fail but to forge a trust with someone who's seen you in such a vulnerable position... It may sound ott to some and it's different for each of us but now I couldn't imagine not having lessons, i dont know how i coped before now really ( well i do and it was all very much luck and having a horse who looked after me, not that i knew it at the time, but he did all the work for me, was exceptionally brave and kept me safe- I miss him every day still, and only now know that he's gone how truly amazing he was)
and the difference they've made to myself and kitty is immeasurable... I look forward to my lessons, it gives myself and kitty a focus and this is what, in our relationship, is needed I think for us both:) sorry to ramble but I'm a massive convert as I'm sure you all can tell;)!!

I've had lessons for the last few years on Tess, usually spring to autumn and then a break over winter. We were doing flatwork and some jumping to begin with, but we had a few soundness problems around the same time as the heights went up so I decided to knock that on the head just in case. She can be absolutely fantastic at her best, beautifully light and soft, but I think her hocks are playing her up a bit now as she started to struggle with bend and lateral work and became a bit resistant at times which just isn't like her. We've stopped for the winter again now and I'll see how she is in the spring, but if it's still a struggle then it may be time to call it a day, she's 20 now after all.

Yes as from December. We are at an "interesting" phase with the cob. Plus i backed her myself so its nice to have that support.
I am a happy hacker but i may do the odd bit of schooling with this one.

Forgot the other questions-lessons only ever on mine. I do the groundwork instructor is solely ridden as she is bhsai. Level, as basic as you can get with a newly backed baby. I am also taking my time so although she has been under saddle 6months, she hasn't jumped and she isn't cantering either.

Last edited:
I never miss the opportunity to get a team or tandem driving lesson in if I am ever down near my driving teacher.

Also if I am in the same place at the same time as our Icelandic horse coach I get the odd lesson in with him on one of the horses.

I have 1 or 2 lessons a month on Moët. I go to a dressage instructors yard for them. We are very basic dressage - intro/prelim. But my lessons focus more on developing me and my position, Moët is offering more as a result. I would not have been able to achieve what I am without lessons (well unless I wanted to use gadgets and cut corners)

I absolutely love them, although have decided to stop now until baby is born

Last edited:
Opps forgot to answer all the questions. Chanter is a school master and works to elementry at home jumps about 1m (even through I don't jump him that big anymore)

Yes, I do. On my own horse - pointless me having lessons on a well schooled horse - I know how it SHOULD feel, just getting Tobes and I on the same page, not always easy.

Mine would only ever to be very low level stuff, but very helpful when hacking out as well, we can now move sideways out of the traffic!!

I do, probably on average 2 a month. Over the winter they have mostly been hacking lessons (I accompany my RI while she rides a livery mate's horse) but we do do schooling too.

My RI has been incredibly helpful in reeducating poor stressy damaged Ziggy into a nice little hacking horse.

ETA she is a Mary Wanless instructor. It's a mind boggling approach to start with but it really works for me and Ziggy!

Couldnt ride without them. once weekly if poss.
But I am definitely institutionalised to riding lessons, as is Max, its where we both feel safe and learn
Even though we do our most daring stuff in the lessons!
xxx

I have weekly ones with Appley in the summer (I don't 'school' her by myself, we just hack otherwise), and roughly one a month with a different RI in the winter. (we only have a grass school in summer so the winter lesson involves boxing up etc). really love having lessons again :) i'm a happy hacker and have a lot of bad habits!!

newrider.com