Do you feed chaff with fast fibre? Quick answers appreciated!

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Sorry for the rush but I need to get something before the tack shop shuts tonight!!

Am going to try and take Tango barefoot in the near future. Had done soooooooooo much research my brain now constantly aches and even dissected a hoof on a barefoot course! Had decided on a diet of Fast Fibre, micronised Linseed and Meta Balance (which is a combination of various vits and minerals to support barefootedness!)

Went to buy the FF and was practically laughed out the shop for not feeding chaff too. I said I was trying to cut out alfalfa to see if it was making him footy - to which she clearly thought I was mad so I paid for the FF and made a quick exit! :help:

And if you do, any recommendations on a low starch, low sugar non alfalfa one that I can easily pick up in a feed store?!

This is probs not going to help you, but I feed either Happy HOof or Healthy HOoves - both ours are barefoot. They are good doers mind, so maybe not applicable for yours?

I did to transition from chop to FF but that's the only reason. Stick to your guns and do FF only if yours like it. Littles did, Joy didn't so see how you go. FF is lower in digestible enegy, sugars and starch and additives than most chops so stick with just that if you can is my advice for what it's worth.

Thanks guys! JS - so do you not think the FF will just be horribly sloppy then? Having not made any up yet I have no idea!

I'm hoping he'll eat it after all this!! I tried the Meta Balance this morning which absolutely stinks and he ate that - but I think he'd eat anything if mixed with sugarbeet!! :giggle: Although saying that it was only half a scoop and he'll eventually need 2 scoops so shouldn't speak too soon!!

I think fast fibre has chop in it already - I imagine it will be like making speedi beet?

If it has chaff in... Go back and laugh at them whilst you point it out!!!

My daughters pone loves fast fibre, eats it on its own with his vits in, it looks awful and he gets it all over his white nose, but he licks his bucket clean!! He only gets a bit though cos he is a fatty! My daughter is a barefoot trimmer and reccomends fast fibre!

Mattie was on Fast Fibre when I got him and for eighteen months after, and he didn't get chaff with it, only herbs. He thrived except in deepest winter when he went on to Calm & Condition.

I spent weeks trying to get FF the right consistency and then I was advised to mix it up the night before as it will continue to "fluff up" and then you get a nice damp consistency that you can stir and separate rather than it sticking together in clumps :)

I feed FF with Easy Rider which is an unmollased/alfalfa free chaff so i have nothing to worry about. Both mine are barefoot.

I feed it without chaff to my five, they all love it, they also get micronized linseed and brewers yeast.

4 are barefoot and 1 is shod on fronts.

Fantastic - great thank you you lot!! I'll not bother getting any chaff then. If I do need it though, that Easy Rider sounds good though.

Added a mug full to his feed this morning - the bowl was licked clean!

So next question - how much to feed a 14.3h being hacked 3 times a week, who could do with putting on condition (although that's what the micronised linseed is for)?! I know feed companies often exaggerate so would be good to get 'real' opinions!! :mstickle:

Hiya, i`m a bit late now but i don`t feed any chaff. Mine just get FF (adjusting how much water you add equals how dry/sloppy it is) and their Mag and Micronised Linseed added ... hope that helps x

Good thread as I has just switched to the DandH one with thier suregrow as a balancer. Also feeding linseed and also have just ordered some sarc ex for the sarcoid.

If you have got some Sarc Ex would highly recommend feeding in conjunction with Immuplus also Global Herbs. I fed Sarc Ex alone for quite a long time, but when I finally got with the plan and fed the Immuplus alongside, it knocked them on the head pretty quick.

Sorry to deviate from original post.

newrider.com