do modern turnout rugs really need re-proofing?

posie

Honey's slave...
Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
www.barkscotland.com
i have always had my rugs washed and re-proofed every year and i'm just about to put the LW and MW's in....

BUT... there's a tiny rip on one rug and i had a little look under the top layer and it seems to be coated on the inside with a plastic(?!) type lining - hence the waterproofness i imagin? so that got me thinking.... do you really need to re-proof modern rugs? :confused: or has technology advanced to the point that it's not really needed nowdays?

esp as my field mate never gets hers done and a few years down the line and they are still functioning just as well and are just as waterproof.... would save a few pennies if i didn't get them all re-proofed too! :p

thoughts pls! :)

I only reproof when they start falling apart of obviously leaking ...
Which is never on some of my rugs and every 2 - 3 years on others ...

I must admit that although I've had my rugs washed every Spring, so far they've never been re-proofed. Mostly I wash them with a hosepipe of cold water and a scrubbing brush to take the mud and hair off, so no detergents or anything. My Shires rug must be about two years old by now, if not three, and despite a few nicks in the outer layer over the years (one which required stitching up) and it's never leaked yet.

Most of the rest of my rugs are second hand, and a couple do leak in VERY wet weather. They cope with showers, and a short burst of heavy rain, but if it's pouring down all night and all day, we end up with soggy patches underneath. I bought a bottle of re-proofing back at the beginning of Autumn, but I had to wait for a nice, warm day to wash and reproof the rugs so that they would dry properly. As it turned out, the day I picked to wash them, I had beautiful weather until it came to putting the re-proofing on, at which point it started to rain :rolleyes: There doesn't seem to have been a warm day since, or at least not one where the warm weather has lasted long enough to get it done. In the spring I'll be reproofing the rugs that leak, and if reproofing them doesn't help, I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a few more rugs.... what a hardship that will be! :p

ok - thanks guys - i'll save a few pennies this year then ;) :p will get them all washed but not reproofed as none of them leaked last year - then if i find they do leak i'll do them myself as sez suggested - every penny counts and all that jazz :D

TheG had his Weatherbeeta Arion for 4 winters and Stan has worn it this Winter.. never been washed or re-proofed.. Good as new.. :)

Best thing is to wash it straight away once they move out of HW rug (not just before they are due to wear it next year), then give it a quick spray with re-proofing spray and put it away for the summer. Then when you get it out, it has given it chance to settle, probably doesn't make much difference, but makes you feel a little bit easier about whether they do leak. Tbh, modern rugs don't really leak unless they are ripped, or it really rains and manages to get under neck cover, in between rug and neck cover etc...
Also, sometimes rugs will 'feel' wet inside (as if they are leaking) when they are very wet, but often it is just cold.
Like I say giving it a spray gives you a bit more piece of mind.

I must be a bad mum – never had mine washed or re proofed and will only do it if going in for repair. Chinooks arion is still going strong 5 winters on and never been washed or reproofed. Not had any issues with leaking

Its funny because I'm rubbish at tack cleaning etc but I must have had Joy's no fill cleaned and reproofed 3 times last year.

I don't know but I reasoned that bunging it through the washing mashine with washing powder would break down at least some of the waterproofing and I would rather have it reproofed each time than wait for it to leak.

I wouldn't even have them washed tbh, that's what strips the waterproofing. Air them out on a fence , maybe cold hose off the mud, let dry, then fold away and don't look at for the rest of the year ...

TheG had his Weatherbeeta Arion for 4 winters and Stan has worn it this Winter.. never been washed or re-proofed.. Good as new.. :)

That's a bloody marvellous rug that! I believe they don't do them now :(

I've not had any of mine reproofed but will have them all professionally cleaned and the two ripped ones repaired properly this week. I assume that the Shires Stormbeata will need reproofing with all the rips and repairs!

Soozy gave me a good hint - she hoses off the worst of the mud and lets it dry, then hoovers it. Seamus always looks sparkly clean in his rugs! I'm going to try it when the hosepipe defrosts!

Just wash with cold water as per washing instructions, and they shouldn't need doing. :)

Daffy's HW turnout will be going to be washed over the weekend, and I will be having that reproofed although it was new this year, because it needs washing in hot water with an anti fungal/bacterial rug wash, and I don't want to take the risk.

newrider.com