Do horses loose hair as a sign of stress

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
I think jazz is stressed Having to share with just has she is bullying him.

I know he was weaving but last night his bald patch from weaving is bigger and his hair was falling out. He also has a few kick and bite marks but he will not stand up to her.

I know he was upset yesterday when he wouldn't come for his head collar on at the gate because she was stood there and that is not like him. Wouldn't even give me a hug :frown:

b170dbb1.jpg

Oh heck - I guess they can lose hair through stress? Afterall, if they're rubbing or something through worrying?
Don't know what to suggest?
Its so upsetting when one is getting bullied - our Storm still has it in for Chloe at times, yesterday I was most annoyed when I turned them out, as she trotted off and tried to kick her!!!!

He is defo stressed - trying to find something to split the pen again as I have a gate at the back for my tack room. It has sugarbeet etc in there so I need the gate!

Poor guy :( usually they are inseperatable but today I turned them out and she galloped off as per usual - he hung back then cantered off in the opposite direction

Definitely. When we were still boarding DJ was so prone to skin stuff like rain rot. I was battling it all the time, trying to give him supplements and put on lotions and stuff.
Then we moved him home just a few miles from there and he's never had it again (as my husband says "it's good to be king") He no longer gets bullied by other horses and in fact is the boss of his own two mares so he enjoys that.

That looks like classic lice, have you wormed him with Ivermec recently?

He is bathed in dermoline and powdered regulary, not itchy and no signs of any. I have checked him over and no signs at all :frown:

Update is that I managed to devise a way to seperate them in the own last night and this morning they were where I left them so they had a relatively stress free night!

I did notice jazz had stable stains so he had layed down, something he hasn't done in a while.

Think the problems started after June got used to her stable over summer when she was bad. She had her own space and didn't have to share. Now she has to!

So while she has her own space and I can keep them separate hopefully this will solve the problem.

Think that is nice of you to have done that. Horses aren't really that nice to each other if they can get the upper hand over the other one - makes me wonder really why we are so nice to them all the time!

I guess it is like us living with the school bully - must be horrible really - just because we choose to have them together doesn't really mean they like each other.

What has really gobsmacked me is moving yards. All the geldings are together and all the mares are separate in another field. Tobes is much more forgiving with the geldings than he was with friends mare when it was just the two of them. He is just easier with them - weird really.

newrider.com