do horses forget about traffic when they haven't been in any for ages??

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
angel hasn't been on the road for about a year and a half (possibly a bit longer!), because there isn't any real need at our yard (and i don't trust motorists with horses!). i would very much like to taker her out a bit further next year, because my friend bought a pony and keeps it at the yard down the road (and other yards aren't allowed onto my yard's hacking).

i took angel on the road (very quiet cul de sac mind you!) for a tiny little bit today, and she found it terribly exciting when two cars reversed (one with a squeeky windscreen-wiper on ...), head in the air, jogging along :rolleyes:

she used to be totally quiet on the road, and i'm a bit worried she 'forgot' and will throw a wobbly if i do take her on the big road again :eek:

do they 'forget' about traffic and lose their 'safe in traffic' qualities after a while? she does see tractors, cars in the carpark and all sorts of farm machinery daily though and is overall not the spooky sort.

Julia
x

Yes, I would think so because they aren't used to it any more. The only thing you can do is gradually get her used to it again. Make sure you stay safe though! Once you get her used to it again, I would suggest every once in while you remind her of it so it doesn't become a new experience all over again.

Vez xx :)

I'm not sure they forget as such, horses have terrific memories. I suspect it was more to do with being somewhere different. Ours don't do a lot of proper roadwork but it's never a problem when they're asked to. One of their fields is next to Shaffield ring road though, I'm sure that helps:D

yes, im sure that DOES help :D

all angel gets to look at is other horses, cows and hedges from her field :p

i'll just have to try tomorrow if weather is nice. i thought of riding up the cul de sac and watching the big road that goes past it with her for a bit. does that sound like a plan? i figured i feel safer ON the horse than leading it, strangely ...

Julia
x

right, out comes the tabard and the gritted determination ...

went out twice now, one road with no traffic, the other with a little traffic. were overtaken by a big green van and a revving maserati (the area we're in is a bit 'new money' ...). it seems that cars aren't the issue, it's the road itself! the moment her little hooves hit concrete she gets all alert and excited, she also tries to look in/walk down every single driveway we pass :confused:

Julia
x

I would say yes, definitely. You will have start things slowly with her again as if your introducing it for the first time again.

Get that body protector out, go out in company if possible with a sane reliable bombproof horse so she has a safety blanket. Take things slowly build it up over a number of weeks and the key I think is to keep the trips out on the road regular so she doesn't have time to desensitise again.

Good luck with it all and keep us updated on how you both get along :)

she's better ridden than in hand in 'scary' situations (strangely!!) as can be very strong inhand and is easier to control from above usually.

i'm practicing so we can go out with my friend's new pony (who seems utterly bombproof thus far, bless him, he's only 5!!!) in the future :)

Julia
x

I think the person above put their finger on it - it's not that they forget about traffic, they just don't like unfamiliar situations. Mine recently moved back into a field he's not been in for 4 months. He knows the field inside out, but he's been away so doesn't know if lions and tigers haven't moved in to a den down behind the trees :D

I would say she's just checking that it's all still safe out there - you know how sensitive they are to changes, like you can ride calmly down the road on Monday, but the same road with a football sitting on the pavement on Tuesday needs to be approached with great caution :D

the driveways and dustbins aren't approached with caution but dogged determination/excitement about what may or may not be held within :eek:

will continue what we're doing and hopefully reach the top of the road where we can watch 'proper' traffic for a bit from the safety of the sidestreet :)

Julia
x

we have now managed to reach the top of the road (those of you who are yawning already ... tut tut!). with two little spooks, only one of them at a car though (it was raining and the moron driver obviously couldn't read the words PASS WIDE AND SLOW emblazoned accross my back. because he must have been a bit thick!) ... poor old angel doesn't know what hit her, what with all these outings, past gates, driveways, yellow grit boxes and joggers ...

julia
x

I'm sure keeping a horse next to a main road works wonders!

One of my old horses was from the Peak district ( wayyy up in the hills !)

He lived in Warrington when I had him, his field was adjacent to the M6 !!

He became A+++ on the roads!! However he never got to like the motorway bridge tho!!... Only trouble was to get to the bridle paths we had to get over it. Was quite hairaising at times! :eek:

Well done for getting to the end of the road, don;t worry about asking people to slow down pass slowly and wide cos you don;t want to push her too much.

I was complacent with mine when she seemed OK and forgot she wasn't my previous bombproof steed :eek: and as a result sometimes took her a little too far outside her comfort zone which has caused my problems. Take things slowly slowly and at a pace that suits both you.

Well done and keep us updated on how things go :)

Hi there

It's similar to me, I thought I had retired my horse and have not ridden him for 2 years but feel I could take him out for walks. So I will start from the very bottom, getting him used to the tack again, lunging and walking in hand outside the field perhaps with a trusted companion to start with (with my hi viz gear on and hat of course). Horses are creatures of habit and routine if you do something regularly they get used to it. You could get your horse used to cars in the yard to start with. Just start of gradually and built up.

Good luck

debO

Hi there

It's similar to me, I thought I had retired my horse and have not ridden him for 2 years but feel I could take him out for walks. So I will start from the very bottom, getting him used to the tack again, lunging and walking in hand outside the field perhaps with a trusted companion to start with (with my hi viz gear on and hat of course). Horses are creatures of habit and routine if you do something regularly they get used to it. You could get your horse used to cars in the yard to start with. Just start of gradually and build up.

Take a check on what's going through your mind as you get ready to take her out, no matter how much we think we are relaxed your horse will pick up any vibes if you are slightly anxious

Good luck

debO

I would recommend anyone riding on roads to cary a long schooling whip(unless the horse has a mortal fear of them).

I hold this out at a wide angle so that drivers HAVE to pass wide even if they don't slow down to do so :)

@ yann: well, hopefully we'll be able to hang around at the end of the road and watch traffic (actual traffic as opposed to the odd car!) on the big road for a bit. then, hopefully, go on the big road for a very short stretch in the company of my friend's very safe pony (i dont want to risk the big road on my own, and dont need to, anyway).

Julia
x

ps: got the schooling whip but was busy keeping it on ponio's shoulder to stop her jumping into the road rather than away from it ...

newrider.com