DJD and joint supplements

Jenn_and_Benji

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about joint supplements? My horse has low-grade DJD of the hocks, which doesn't cause lameness but does affect his stride length. On my vets advice, I was feeding him a joint supplement called Cortaflex (made by Equine America), however when I last went to purchase this the lady in the shop said I would be far better buying Superflex (made by NAF). She pointed out that Cortaflex doesn't actually contain glucosamine and condroitin, which are the key substances to stimulate production of cartilage cells, whereas Superflex does. So I purchased the Superflex and went away feeling rather narked that Cortaflex doesn't contain what I thought it did.

However, on further reading I have discovered that glucosamine and condroitin molecules are relatively 'large' and are not easily absorbed through the horse's intestine, therefore a large percentage of the Superflex dose is lost when the horse dungs. The theory behind Cortaflex is that it stimulates the horse to produce its own glucosamine and condroitin, thereby there is no problem with them not being absorbed through the gut...

Can anyone back up this theory? If it is correct then I would be better feeding Cortaflex (even though it is dearer! :rolleyes: ) rather than Superflex.

I am not an expert on DJD, and don't expect anyone on here to be either, but I would appreciate any opinions all the same.

thanks!
Jenn

Problem is that where you've read in the marketing that things like Superflex will pass straight through is in the marketing for Cortaflex, right? Everyone is trying to make their stuff sound the best, and realistically there probably isn't a lot of difference between the two. We just all fall foul of the marketing trick which says 'if you don't use this, you aren't doing the best for your horse....' which sends us all into traumatic dilemas of what is actually the best! I do it all the time with saddles, bits, feed supplements etc etc. Thing is realistically I can't afford everything!

You've tried Cortaflex, so you know how your horse goes on it. You've got the Superflex now, so you may as well use it. It's probably down to you to play 'spot the difference' :D No help whatsoever, I know, but if you can't tell the difference then your horse probably can't either!

I've had tremendous success with Equiflex on my 18 year old mare. It contains glucosamine, chondroitin and manganese with vitamin C to aid absorbtion. It's about half the cost of Cortaflex I think. It's only available by post (free) from Guernsey but ordering is hassle free. If you give VetVits a ring on 0808 100 40 80 (free) they'll send you a leaflet, or look at www.vetvits.co.uk

My YO is so convinced of its effectiveness, after being initially highly sceptical, that he's using it on some of his own horses.

BTW, I'm not on commission, just very impressed with the product!

Best wishes

Sally

thanks for your replies, wasn't sure if I'd get any!

Zingy, the stuff I read wasn't promoting either Superflex or Cortaflex, it was an independent source.....I will stick with the Superflex until the tub runs out.

Sallym - thanks very much for that link, I will definitely be trying that one out when I run out of Superflex.

thanks again
Jenn

I use Gold Label Gloucosimine 5000, I have noticed a massive improvement in 4 weeks for Minnie. It has gloucosimine, MSN and vit c in it and is a brilliant product. Its £18.60 and lasts for 1 month on double intial doses and 2 months on single maintenance doses. I use it for servere arthrits in the hock and I am more than happy with it.;)

newrider.com