Diy??

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
Do you consider DIY to be totally do it yourself or involve feeding in mornings or more?

I always thought do it yourself but some areas it includes feeding too.

DIY to me is DIY but my yard offers assisted DIY which you can pay for extras.I'm terrible for wanting to do it all myself though and not wanting to ask anybody to do anything with malaika :eek:

All the DIY yards ive been on have charged extra for morning feeds/turnout if you cant make it.

Our last YM charged £1.50 per feed and £1.50 for turn out...i never used it though, always liked doing it myself! :wub:

I am DIY, HOWEVER, my YO feeds at 5.30am all the horses - we leave the feeds out for them.

She does this, because a lot of people are absolute shockers, and arrive really late in the day - a lot of the yard roll up to do their horses from 9am - lunchtime:help::help:

I can't do that, I am always up at the yard by 6.55 in the morning in the week, and 7.45 at the weekend. If I had to feed, I would be earlier!!!

On our yard the first person on the yard needs to put the breakfasts in for that block - which is kinda annoying when Im always the first! lol

But they charge £2 for turn out or bring in

Ours does this when they are in,no charge.mind I say they charge there are only 3 of us and we all help each other and don't get charged,yo has horses and we do hers etc and vice versa works well :)

My DIY includes morning feed, but this is done by the first person on the yard in the morning, so can be anywhere from 6-9am

My horse doesn't have morning feed and I'm always there to turnout from 5am anyway. As its so early and he doesn't have a feed so I'm not expected to feed round. I do though if I'm up a bit later.

Everything else is charged, but they will change occasional rugs and put in evening feed free which is nice.

DIY is just that and I'm another one who really does prefer to do it myself, although yard mate and I help each other out if we need to.
When I was sharing though the first on the yard had to feed all the horses (30 of them) and it used to really pee me off to be honest as on my days I was always up first! I'm sorry but I think if you are on DIY then bl**dy well get your a**e out of bed and DIY! Don't expect anyone else to do it for you.
I was told that it was because if one gets fed some of the horses get anxious and weave or kick the door or whatever, to a degree I understand that but still if you know that is likely to happen get up earlier and DIY.

DIY is just that and I'm another one who really does prefer to do it myself, although yard mate and I help each other out if we need to.
When I was sharing though the first on the yard had to feed all the horses (30 of them) and it used to really pee me off to be honest as on my days I was always up first! I'm sorry but I think if you are on DIY then bl**dy well get your a**e out of bed and DIY! Don't expect anyone else to do it for you.
I was told that it was because if one gets fed some of the horses get anxious and weave or kick the door or whatever, to a degree I understand that but still if you know that is likely to happen get up earlier and DIY.

Hmm just curious but what time do you feed your horse? Its all very well saying that but it would be very hard to get 30 owners to turn up at the same time and some horses do get stressed seeing others fed, I know I would feel really bad feeding a horse while the one next door was stressed as his owner was coming up later. At our yard some people are getting there 5.45am, so would you be happy to get there that time every day. If I'm not in a mega rush I love feeding round, its very cute giving them breakfast and there is 35 at our yard. Not having a dig, just saying it only takes 5 mins

To me DIY is just that, however I'm fortunate that DIY on our yard includes morning feeds/hay going in.

We can pay for extras.

They get buckets at 630-730 ISh and hay at 915-930. I never leave a bucket out, we'll very rarely, and I usually up prior to hay being put in. I never feed the others as some of the horses are destructive with banging so I won't feed them So they don't associate me with food (I don't always have time to feed).

At our yard it includes breakfast (they don't make up feeds though, 1 rug change and turn out). We are not allowed to be on the yard before 7.30am in the summer or 8.30am in the winter though

Hmm just curious but what time do you feed your horse? Its all very well saying that but it would be very hard to get 30 owners to turn up at the same time and some horses do get stressed seeing others fed, I know I would feel really bad feeding a horse while the one next door was stressed as his owner was coming up later. At our yard some people are getting there 5.45am, so would you be happy to get there that time every day. If I'm not in a mega rush I love feeding round, its very cute giving them breakfast and there is 35 at our yard. Not having a dig, just saying it only takes 5 mins

Ale firstly Belle doesn't get breakfast, secondly my normal time for arriving at the yard on a work day is 6.00 am probably 7.00 am on Sunday - I'm not saying everyone should arrive early I'm just saying if people want their horse fed then it's up to them to do it!
I'm sorry but most horses soon become used to who is going to give in to their creating havoc and feed them and who wont.
When I arrived on the yard I'm on now there were two horses (still there) one would weave and one would kick the door repeatedly as soon as you arrived on the yard. I took the approach of it's not my horse so I'm not getting involved, after about a week of completely ignoring them - guess what? They stopped, they never ever do it when they see me anymore because they know that they will not get a reaction.
I don't get time to feed everyone else's horses in the morning and I wouldn't go on a DIY livery yard where this was the rule for that reason and no it doesn't take five minutes, lol, not unless your just chucking the feed bowls over the door at a run. Not having a go either, I guess we just have a difference of opinion.

Yeah we will agree to disagree lol :) My horse doesn't get brekkie either!

Ours is DIY and DAYAT (do as you are told!) the YO expects us to do everything including sweep up the yard, keep the muck heap tidy, shut & lock the barn door, unload the hay and straw lorries, look after the fields, including poo pick, clean out water troughs, adjust sticking gates ....

At our yard it includes breakfast (they don't make up feeds though, 1 rug change and turn out). We are not allowed to be on the yard before 7.30am in the summer or 8.30am in the winter though

Are the time restrictions to do with feeding? I couldnt be on a yard I couldn't go to till 8.30am!!

Apparently it's for security. We can't be there after 9.30pm either, I once got there at 9.45pm just to drop a bucket off as we were going away on holiday and got delayed leaving by one of the children being ill and did I get told off or what!

Apparently it's for security. We can't be there after 9.30pm either, I once got there at 9.45pm just to drop a bucket off as we were going away on holiday and got delayed leaving by one of the children being ill and did I get told off or what!

That's ridiculous!

newrider.com