DIY prices

well I was looking at a few

one was £110 pcm, that is for use of all facilities, all year turnout, the have a rubber crumb arena & a jumping paddock, locked (with a code) tack room, feed room, kitchen, toilet, rug room,

but you have to purchase their own hay & shavings, which is £5 a bale of hay & £4 a bag of shavings,

30 acre winter turnout field & 2 15 acre summer turnout, which get rotated every 6 weeks

lovely place, but ALOT of rules, everything has to be done a certain way, but yeah I loved it :cloud9:

£140pcm which includes storage in hay barn for hay, bedding etc which is a good sizable area.

Stable & 24/7, 365 turn out with fields rotated - fields on average 12 acres (give or take) and turn out always with a herd.

Sand school, lunge pen & jumping field. Flood lights in sand school & on the yard.

Mess room (with kettle, fridge & microwave) and own tack area in a room with 5 others (stables are mostly in rows of 6 with tack area at the end) which has a rug rack, a hook for bridles and head collars and an area to keep hard feed, drawers & a shelf for lotions/potions etc.

Plenty of room for parking of cars, lorries & trailers.

Endless hacking!

A windmill and a stream with a bridge over it :happy:

I pay £130 a month for 2 horses on 3.5 acres. I provide my own shelter. There's no power or water. We might get water soon - but will probably have to pay more for it :unsure:

I pay £100 per month per horse - includes stable, hay, haylage, straw bedding, outdoor floodlit school, great hacking, 24/7 turnout all year ( but only works out about 0.75 acres per horse)

£120 a month DIY plus £40 for unlimited hay

For that I get stable, lockable tack room (shared), use of 50 x 70 school, use of show jumps, grass dressage arena, 40,000 acres of off road hacking. YO is lovely, other liveries are lovely, we also have PUPPIES at the moment that I can cuddle unlimitedly :D

Closer into town livery is about £100 a month but you just don’t get the hacking.

Shavings for £4?! That would be good!

I was buying my own hay but farmer added an extra 50p a bale for bringing them half a mile further up the road, the started to get shirty over delivering 10 even though he'd done it for the last year. So I started buying big bales, which I could only buy three at a time, for one horse... so I gave up and just agreed with YO to give her the cost of a round bale a month!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, i currently loan, but at yard yard depending on how big the stable is, you can either pay 28 for a small , 31 for med and 34 for a large pw. So for that you get one stable, and a summer and winter field, which isn't huge, they do run out of grass quite quickly but they get turned out pretty much all year round though in the winter there in two days a week. You get your own area for hay and shaving which again isn't huge but it can fit a round bale of hay and about 10 bales of shavings. You also get your own feed bay in one of the two feed rooms and space in the tack room, saddle rack already provided. Facilities; we can use them all, so two schools, one rubber, one sand the rubber is floodlight and the lights in the sand school should be going up soon the yard is also floodlight. Very very secure tackroom,place to hose the horses off, very good hacking, we have loads of land ourselves in the winter, we have a jumps paddock ( Poly jumps and wooden jumps , some with fillers) and xc jumps. We also have a cafe, well its just a room with tables, chairs, sink, mircowave, coal fire etc. Not including hay/shavings tools, electric fencing if needed etc. You can buy hay of the yard but its more then the suppliers hay. And one of the liveries lives onsite along with the YO son.

Last edited:
£20 per week for stable and all year round grazing (summer and winter field).
We have to keep the yard clean and tidy and can pretty much do as we please but we are very respectful of YO who lives on site.

We have a field that we can ride in summer when dry. Its huge and we have loads of jumps that we can set up too.

We are a nice bunch and all help each other out. There is a yard up the road and we can hire theor arena for £5 per hour.

well we are having a change of plan .. we are now going to be renting a field which is £300 for the year, has a shelter (big metal container thing ?), running water, it actually 2 or 3 fields joined together, so I could actually split them if needs be :), lots of hacking around about & the field has flat areas where I could school too :)

Sigh....

Sounds like there are some really great and affordable options out there.... don't think there are many to be had in Surrey though :frown:

My yard has stopped offering DIY livery now (prob coz more money to be made on part livery) but she charges about £350 per month for the DIY people still there.

Yard has exceptional hacking; use of full size floodlit arena with rubber flooring; lunge pen; starvation pen; secure shared tack room; CCTV and the liveries are really friendly and nice.

Good luck finding one that's right for you :biggrin:

I pay £95 a month per horses, that is my own field with mains electric no barbwire. Outdoor floodlit sand school, my own stable and storage.

I pay £50 per month for just over 3 acres, water on site but thats it, will take a stable on down the yard if one ever becomes available.
Think a stable is about £10 a week.

I pay £20 per stable in summer; £22 per stable in winter. That includes arena, morning feed and turnout/rugs done in winter - though I bring in.

Thats not usual for here though - The price is right for diy but its not usual to have the "part livery" stuff throw in.

I pay £22.00 a week DIY which includes the following -

Toilet (portaloo)
Kitchen
Tack room
Ample hay/stra storage
Tack/rug storage (spare)
Spacious stable with good ventilation
24/7 365 TO if I want it on well draining soil in good size fields
Good quiet hacking
Nice liveries and lovely YO!!

Hay is £1.50 for 10 kilos and straw is £30 for a HUGE bale which u buy ur self, or u can pay YO but i will be buying my own in!

140pcm in Bucks/Berks (which is an EXPENSIVE area, so 140 isn't bad!)

Includes stable (which is huge!) and grazing (though some of the grazing is on steep hills and badly managed by previous tennants),
Secure tack room, feed room and plenty of storage for hay, shavings and gear.
20 x 40 floodlit sand school and small round pen (both need re-surfacing).
Nice Tea room
Can pay for assisted DIY.

Mostly I'm happy to pay the money for the people, who are really nice and we spend most of our time sitting drinking tea and coffee in the tea room!

We pay a total of £37 a week for stabling for 3 and seperate grazing of 3 acres.

We rent stables seperate to field, although do have some grazing rights at the yard, but really only use them for the little man over winter or at times he needs to very restricted he has a little sand paddock area. 2 live out 24/7 so 2 stables hardly get used but as its not costly its nice to have them as an option in the event we do, also we get the use for bathing for shows etc

I will be paying £15 per week for grass livery at a lovely yard with hard standing for tie up, floodlit school and direct off road hacking. If and when I get a stable it will cost me £23 per week. We can buy our hay/straw directly from the farm. Everyone gets an individal space to store their equipment. I can't wait to move there!

The yard i am on charge this for DIY, I pay different to this as I work there too part time>

60 x 20 all weather floodlit arena
grass arenas (spring- autumn)
Jumping paddock with full set of BSJA show jumps (spring-autumn)
Grass gallop and training field
Hot water wash bay and solarium
Horse walker
Secure tack rooms
Lunge pen
Large car park and lorry parking, including power supply when required

DIY Livery; includes stable, turn out and use of all facilities.
£55 per week

newrider.com