DIY livery problems...help!

fatponee

Jun 9, 2005
West Sussex
There is a lady at my yard who is a law unto herself. She enjoys telling people what to do and then ignores all the rules herself. At present, she's decided to use my field even though she has her own one which is full of grass.

Hows does everyone else deal with situations like this? Our landlord is not interested in getting involved with any disputes and leaves us to run the yard ourselves. Unfortunately, this means that some people think they can do what they like. Boo :mad:

Any ideas would be gratefully received guys! Sorry for the rant.

I would initially speak politely to this woman, and ask that she removes her horse from your field. If that has no effect point out to the landlord that if she uses your field it is likely to get poached and be unusable which means that you will NOT be paying rent for it. Landlords usually take notice if it will affect their pockets! Or tell her(other owner)that you will put yours in her field if she keeps using yours. Good luck either way.

gosh are you at my yard lol
I have a lady who is exactly like that at mine, she seems to find problems with everything I do, and makes all her own rules up!
If you find a solution please tell me, I have just come to the conclusion that my best option is to ignore her,
I know this isnt going to solve your problem but it might make you feel better knowing your not alone :)

I would speak with her, then if she won't listen I would go to the landlord as Bevy suggested - make a real point of how much it will effect his/her pocket - you won't pay for a field you can't use etc etc and if you cant use it you will have to consider using hers and explain just how much that will upset her blah blah blah!

Good luck, it really is a pain, it happened to me at our last yard (this was about february time), I had Jess away for some training and Bo was on box rest (so phoenix was out with another mare, one who Jess doesn't get along with), they started using my field, which was find for a couple of days and I explained that which they agreed to.
2 weeks later and I had a 3 year old just back from doing a bit of training who had now been stuck in the stable for 10 days (I had picked her up a couple of days after they first started using the field) she was bouncing off the celing.
I had words with them and they flat out refused to move the horses saying there were no other fields to use - because their mare had trashed the fence in one field and they wanted the other one for riding in :eek: :mad:

Eventually my OH went and spoke with the YO (who up until then wouldn't get involved) and basically said she owed us money back as we had paid for grazing which we were not getting and as her longest standing livery thought she might have given us a little respect by telling the newcomer what was acceptable and what was not rather than making our lives very unpleasnt. She did after that :D

Thanks guys. I think we'll have to have a 'yard meeting' - there's only 3 of us - to discuss the grazing. I've been trying to ignore her and get on with my horses but then a nagging little voice in my head says "why should she get away with doing what she wants?" :)

Gargh. Livery yards...who'd 'ave 'em.

If she has a field of her own full of grass - why don't you put your horse there?
If she has put her horse into your field without your permission, then I would also be notifying the landlord and her that you will expect them to be liable if there is any damage resulting to your horse(es).

newrider.com