dismounting from the wrong side

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
so yesterday I somehow manged to dismount from the wrong side i compellty got my left and right confussed in an odd way,, opps

I've always been taught to mount and dismount from the right of the horse. as soon as I did it the instructor was like "{my name} which side do we usually jump of from"

I actually don't think it matters one bit to be honest, I may be wrong but I believe that the only reason we mount and dismount from the near side goes back to when soldiers wore swords. As long as the horse doesn't object I can't see it as a problem.

I actually don't think it matters one bit to be honest, I may be wrong but I believe that the only reason we mount and dismount from the near side goes back to when soldiers wore swords. As long as the horse doesn't object I can't see it as a problem.

Yeah it may be a turdtional thing but won't. it confuse the horse a bit?

You fall off on either side don't you? It's just a tradition we have got stuck up on.
Everything is done on the left. It doesn't need to be.
I lead mine on both sides, when she's feeling fruity just swapping sides solves it.

Reactions: carthorse
You fall off on either side don't you? It's just a tradition we have got stuck up on.
Everything is done on the left. It doesn't need to be.
I lead mine on both sides, when she's feeling fruity just swapping sides solves it.

ah yeah thats true still i should porbelly stick to though :)

I think it’s good for the horse if you can do everything from both sides, including mounting and dismounting, but your riding school may not.

Reactions: newforest
I think it’s good for the horse if you can do everything from both sides, including mounting and dismounting, but your riding school may not.

well they do think its for good for them be rien on both sides which is why we change the rain in most lessons. I quite like the idea odf a tradtiion that may be wired

I too think it's nice to be able to get off from both sides. I failed miserably trying to get on madam from the wrong side. She never was having any of it! Lol

I dont know if it is still true but some years back when I did the BHS riding and and safety course at our RS, one component in the ridden test was to dismount on the right hand side of the horse.
I seem to remember that the reason is that in the UK we ride n the left of the road and in some emergency situations one may want to keep the horse as far as possible to the left, out of the way of traffic.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Riding polo ponies has taught me not to be fussy. When you're exercising 4 at once you get on and off whichever side there's space :p

Reactions: newforest
Riding polo ponies has taught me not to be fussy. When you're exercising 4 at once you get on and off whichever side there's space :p
I had fun dismounting in walk and trot and running alongside. But she's not going to be a mounted games cob.
The second you quit your stirrups she's auto stops and I did land on my knees.:rolleyes:

newrider.com