Dislocated/Sticking Patella

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
After the proud moment with Dollys feet trimming yesterday, its worry and sadness today as upon going to check them early this morning Dolly was dragging her back leg along the floor, almost as if she does not know its there!

Call to the vet and its a Dislocated/Sticking Patella, brought on by the foot trimming of the back legs the vet thinks.

I feel terrible and although it is supposed to click back in at some point, it loots terrible, like she has broken her leg or something.

Has anyone else had a youngster/horse with this condition?

No knowledge of it I am afraid. Just to say poor you! I hope it sorts itself soon.

Have you got to bring her in or did the vet say leave her out?

Only thing I can think of is, maybe put her on her own if she is out, so the other horses can't get in her way until its healed.

May be a physio could help?

Yes it isn't hugely uncommon in some of the heavier breeds. Solly had a sticking patella as a young horse when I first had him. I am ashamed to say almost definitely caused by me playing silly beggars on him when he wasn't yet muscled or fit enough for it.

JJ'sgirl and I were coming to the end of a hack and competing against each other in a fast walking race, but had to turn a full circle if we broke into trot. I know very childish, but seemed great fun at the time?:rolleyes:

By the next day he was walking about with one leg slightly snatched up all the time. Vet diagnosed a sticking patella and said with careful regular exercise and more muscle and avoiding sharp turns, it should eventually sort itself out as he matured. I think I remember he was put on bute for a few days. but not certain of that.

Well it did resolve, and within just a few weeks and he never had it again.

I'm not so sure about a patella that has actually dislocated though? I thought that a sticking patella was a completely different thing from a dislocated one? I am probably wrong, hopefully someone else will have more knowledge than I have about it?

I hope she is back to normal very soon, poor Dolly after being such a good girl yesterday.:frown:

Is this the same as a locking stifle? If yes then took mine on knowing she had it, exercises etc later and she grew out of it.

Vet said to leave her out as normal as its better for her, and to start some work with her going forward. Obviously she is not yet 2 so will be walking uphill in the field and in straight lines in hand but nothing more than that. Building muscle will help it and maybe stop it from happening but it could be that it reoccurs until she is in full work.

C, I am not sure if a 'sticking' is that different than a dislocation, as they show the same sort of symptoms, with the same treatment I think, but don't quote me on that, I am limited in my knowledge on it really. Vet said on the phone, 'Is she a Warmblood or thoroughbred..' I said ' Neither, She is a cob' He said oh well it can affect any breed, that gave me the impression it was not hugely common in this type but then it could just be that my vet see's it a lot in the TB's, and maybe rarely treat's cobs lol.. it is Gloucestershire lol!

It was frightening this morning, as it looked like a broken bone but she seems pain free. One thing I have been told is that I should back her up and it can put the patella back in place. I am off to try that now but tbh I hate seeing it so am hiding out in the house:redface:

Strange really, vet says to try the backing up if I want, if not leave her be and it will come right... but it feel's like I should be doing something about it but that's normal I think.

It is different to locking stifle NF, similar but its not locking the leg. When its a dislocation or sticking patella it allows the horse to walk but the lower leg hangs back and is dragged along until the horse puts in a big action to turn it the right way again. Usually when first setting off it happens, then she lifts it up, and walks again till she stops again and it repeats.

In humans dislocation is extremely painful, but not been advised to medicate at all and she does not seem in pain, in fact if it was not for the moment of the leg she is her usual self, and she still tried to mug me and wheelbarrow when I left the field.

Last edited:
Gosh, sounds as though it would look quite scary. Do hope she manages to put it right naturally. How very worrying for you when you first saw it! Lots of healing vibes to her.

Oh no!! That sounds horrid!

I can't offer any advice, but keeping fingers crossed she returns to normal soon!

The stifle used to lock on my cob and that leg got left behind and she used to hop along. She also stamped a lot and sorted herself out. I was told to back her up.

It is common in cobs, the stifle lock. I once viewed a pony with is patella thing and all they said was that it couldn't be stabled. I thought it was the same but its not then.

To be fair NF, it very well could be as people call these things the same kind of thing as its all within that joint. I think (but don't quote me) that the patella ( pateller is correct I think) is within the stifle joint. So although with dolly the stifle is not locking as a whole, the patella within it is dislocated/or slipping.

I feel so sad, I don't to go and do the last check of the day as I don't want to see her dragging herself around again:frown::redface:

Piggys both do it - he won't move with his - find backing him up gently helps to unstick it.

Lots of hill work and keeping him lighter and minimal stabling help him the most.

He is also much better with higher heels on his backs as puts more of a bend in his hock

I was really holding back the tears on the way to do final check, but she appeared to be a little better for the 15 mins I was there, she was told off by Minnie this morning and fell on her knees because she couldn't engage it quick enough, but when she was told by Sam tonight that No, he didn't want to share his pile of hay with her, she got away nicely without struggling so I am glad I went as I will sleep better with the last image in my mind rather than this morning :happy:

Buck up Nat, what a worry, sure she will be ok.

I think I would be inclined to further investigate, have some x rays done to see what is exactly going on and scrutinize the vet for the best methods of healing/making sure it don't happen again

Once you know, concentrate on strengthening those muscles so it doesn't happen again.

Might be a combination of physio, feed supplements and exercise. I suspect Dolly is young and will grow out of it but don't take chances, do everything you can to build her up.

You can make it pop back in sometimes by making them take a step backwards.

newrider.com