Disappointed with custom XC top.

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
Grump. Grump. Grump.

Love the colours... can't fault the print quality.... absolutely detest the fit of the neck.

"Unisex" base layer expects me to have no neck, and shoulders that slope from my ears straight to my elbow.

The annoying thing is that I have the machinery (cover stitch and overlock machines) and also the skills (seamstress, can do anything from wedding dresses to curtains) to alter it... but not the time. It's just disappointment that I have to, as well I guess. I resent paying £61 for something I then have to take apart and put back together. :(

I'd be contacting the company at that price too, it's so irritating when things don't fit, more so when they wouldn't really fit anyone due to poor design yet the company thinks thats ok.

At that price I would be sending back. I just did xc with a striped jumper. :)
It's a custom order unfortunately so I can't send it back. And I need it for Sunday. :rolleyes:

My Mum is also a talented seamstress and has said she will help me. :) I can wear it, it's just irritating.

The base layer is bought in from another company that makes them (Rhino base layer) so actually in terms of fit, it's not the custom printers that are at fault- the fault is a crap design of top. I'll see if I can take a picture...

Oh, one massive bonus about it is that the sleeves are a good length (I have a large wingspan, so to find this is rare!) and the length is GREAT- I could genuinely tuck it into my jods, bend over and touch my toes without it breaking free! Which is a massive WIN. I am 1.5" longer in the body/back than standard garment measurements, so again, this is why I want to keep it... but it needs altering else it will drive me mad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
Looking at those pictures I'm possibly being picky. But how in the world am I supposed to sit with my shoulders back for good position on a horse (probably the biggest fault with my position as a rider) if literally ALL my tops are encouraging me to sit round-shouldered?! :mad::oops:

Did you see a photo of someone wearing one before you ordered? Did it look like that?
I use those Rhino base layers for running and hiking and stuff like that. I really rate them. The cut around the neck and shoulders isn't like that though... It kind of looks to me like the one they sold you is a factory reject that somehow didn't get rejected! I would send it back with those pictures and ask for a replacement in case it was a one-off. Just because it was a custom make shouldn't mean you are obliged to keep a faulty product.

How very odd! I've just looked at the Rhino website and those ones do seem to have a bit of rucking around the collar bone area, but they are modelled by burly men figures. It doesn't say they are mens - they are sold in chest sizes - but I don't see how the same design can fit both a muscley man and a woman with a sizeable bust! The specific women's ones are a different design.

I like your colours though - hope you get it sorted out for Sunday,

Reactions: HaloHoney
I would email them to express your displeasure at the style. They will clearly be able to see what to mean from those pics...

Been looking at new cross country colours and was going to buy from custom XC, after seeing this think I'll go with Super XC instead. How annoying!
Just looked at that site and judging by the logo in the back of the top, they use Rhino base layers too...o_O

I would email them to express your displeasure at the style. They will clearly be able to see what to mean from those pics...
Have emailed them asking if this is how it's supposed to fit.

I bought an adults S/M - my largest measurement is 37"- and the chest measurement for that size is 37-42" so they can't say "oooh it's a bit snug." either.

I bought from them too and I am also disappointed with the fit - doesn't fit well on me at all. Shame as it was a birthday present from my husband.

Yeah, I do now!

Gah!

No response to my email yet, by the way... not covering themselves in glory there if I'm honest...

newrider.com