Difference between Horse and Ponies, Prefer one or other??

fimonkey

Oct 5, 2005
Ha ha, after jsut reading the 'common misconceptions' thread, and also the threads re: which horse for which size rider it seems as though some people prefer ponies, some prefer horses.... WHY IS THAT?? Which DO YOUI PREFER AND WHY??

My personal observation is that ponies suffer from 'small man syndrome' ie they think they're bigger than they really are! (sorry to any small men out there, tis only a teasing generalisation).Same deal with dogs, Yorkshire terriers are the yappiest, bossiest dogs in the world, whereas Great Danes just amble and bounce along nicely.

From personal riding experience, the bigger horses tend to have much comfier trots and canters, and their 'reactions' a wee bit slower (giving the rider more time to react). Whereas make the mistake of thinking that just because ponies are smaller they're easier to handle, and you'll soon find out why this isn't so.

What other quirks/differences have yuo observed between horses and ponies?

I have both and compete both!! Ponies think and horses will be told!!! Ponies are much sharper to learn good and bad tricks!! Ponies will get you out of a mess, horses struggle - one of the reasons children who jump struggle when they leave ponies behind they always find a fifth leg to get you out!!!

I love them both and wouldnt be without either i compete in various sizes from my welsh b stallion up to a 17.2hh shirextb all have their own quirks you just live with them!!!!

In general I've always found ponies to be cheekier and more independant thinking. Quite happy to take the mick out of someone! :p Horses on the other hand tend to only act on their feelings so as long as content will generally do as asked without much thought to "I think I'll just stop and wait here until she really means what she says!" ;)

However, You will find some horses that honestly believe they're ponies and a few ponies that will honestly act like horses. :rolleyes:

i have both, 2 horses are mine (idxtb and tb), a section a, and then murf whos in between (15.1 cob).
i personally prefer horses, i dont know why, but i feel alot safer on my 16.3 x racer than i do on my 12hh section a! i do however prefer smaller horses most of the time, anything over 17 hands is a bit much for me, 14.3 to 16 hands is my optimum height:D

I like the "pony brain" Ielcandics are small horses, and have a very, very quick mind, not to mention even quicker reactions. Ride them coarsely and you will pay the price, ride them with respect and they are the most wonderful little beasties.

Shetlands too have more brain than they are entitled to, I likt he meeting of minds

As long as the pony/horse I ride is able to accomidate (sp) my long legs I really don't mind which I ride. I love the way ponies keep themselves safe, but I like the longer stride of some horses, I find riding Arabs gives me the best of both, they think like ponies but stride like horses, also they catch on pretty quick.
Having said that my latest horse is a Quarter Horse so I might change my mind in a few years time when he is ready to ride.

My mare is 14.2, so she has the brains and reactions of a pony, but with a HUGE stride! In showjumping, which is not often, I have to jump in the bigger classes, as her stride is just too big for the pony classes, and then she delights in taking strides out, especially through combinations!

I'd much rather a horse. Pony's have to much attitude, they cute to look at but very cheeky!!:p Plus horses have much better movment....horses just seem more real :)

I prefer ponies because at 5ft tall and light they are ideal for me. They are sharper and more intelligent than a horse. They are cheaper and easier to keep which suits my pocket. As a majority of them live out, they dont have to be groomed thoroughly or ridden every day. Mine gets ridden every other day and just brushed over with a Dandy brush to get the mud off. I find them far more affectionate than a horse but also very cheeky which is part of their charm. On the downside, I find theym more sulky and unforgiving than a horse.:cool:

I like the personality of a pony. Of all the horses I've met, I haven't found one that comes close, although I'm sure there are some!

And within ponies, I wouldn't have anything other than a welsh. Of the 6 ponies I've loaned/owned in the case of Daffy, the ones I've really clicked with have been; Welsh A, Welsh C and Daffy (Welsh D) which to me says a lot. :)

A friend and her man both drive, he drives BIG horses and does HDT as does she, but she has pony teams.

I was out with Frances Driving the BIG ones, and we had a bit of a p[roblem of a very steep hill, the big horses just gave up and said "we can't". It ended up with having to totally unhitch and manually get the HUGE vehicle down the hill to try again.

When we got home and were re telling our tale over a cuppa, his wife just snorted at us and told us that's what to expect driving big horses, that they have no courage and attitude! Ponies would never give up! :D :D :D

I think that the main difference between the two is that ponies are short, fat, fluffy, every child wants one, they are loved by all and they know it! :D

Horses are bigger, not so cocky, but they still know how good they look. :cool: I like horses just because they are bigger, I'm a tall person.

generally the ponies at my RS are cheekier and definately are more willing to challenge you. the horses tend to be alot more laidback, and will do what you tell them to do

im not sure if this is the same for all horses and ponies though:)

I like the look Andy and Charlie will give you, approach with harness or a saddle (and Andy thinks he can get away with it with someone new) he will tell you all sorts of tall stories about how he has never SEEN harness and as for that saddle, the last one he saw ate a pony.

I have watched as ineffective kids follow Fivvie around expecting her to put her own bridle on!...and she's as quiet as they come.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, pony owners need a certain je ne sais quoi. Let a pony think he has the high ground and he'll be indoors, feet on the table, raiding the fridge for your beer bottles, Sky remote in hand and you'd be outside in the field with a bowl of museli! :D :D :D

neither i PREFER arabs, which SHOULD be arab sized but man kind has messed with the breed, but oh well.

But at the moment i ride a 14hh pony named gracie, she's a 24 year old POA, great things, i don't like Quarter horses from halter lines, but from cow lines *mmm* great horses.

I ride both, but I absolutely adore ponies in general.

And although I tend to fall off ponies more than horses (there's nothing there to hold on to! :p), I tend to be much more confident on ponies. Probably due to relative closeness to the ground and the fact that as I really started to jump and such I only rode ponies.

And I'm 5'2 and rather light so I can fit on most.

yea and the ponies are generally a lot more agile and faster when it comes to gymkhana, mounted games and some jumping competitions. i prefer horses, mainly coz i'm 5'11 ft i don't really get a choice!lol! i get on well with horses, the bigger the horse the comfier i am. but it all comes down to personal preferences hey :0)

Hmm .. well I think I prefer horses .. but I'm lucky with Cheek. I get a horse with pony strides :p lol .. he has literally got pony strides .. it make it great for dressage, but a little harder for jumping.

Ponies aren't really for me .. seeing as I am way to big for them lol

I am only 5ft, so a horse is often too big for me to get my leg around. On the ground I feel more confident with a pony and it is easier to get on. I find a pony's jump to be easier. Also I hate the feeling of a long neck and like to make sharper turns. With a horse I always feel like I have to make huge turns. With a pony I can zip around here and there and everywhere!

i have both, a 13.3hh and a 15.2hh. pony's have much sharper reactions than horses, and can spin round or be up on their hind legs much quicker than a horse. I know a lot of people who can't ride ponies coz they can't think 'pony' and just don't understand that you can't tell them what to do, you ask very nicely and pray they oblige!! I wouldn't say my horse is comfier than my pony, both give equally good rides, its just the different stride lengths that take a bit of getting used to, especially when i was riding both every day.

newrider.com