Didn't Know Things Like This Exsisted

"Playing to Win' is my philosophy and using a bar halter on untrained or agressive colts while lounging them or just leading them lets me keep the upper hand and their attention. This allows me to reinforce that they have to listen to me and it prevents them from pushing me around."

I hate the fact he seems to think we as humans need to 'keep the upper hand' and that the horses 'have to listen' to him. No. We're partners, not asserting our dominance over them.

This is a horrible item and I would never use it, but it did amuse me slightly that one of the three sizes listed is horse/haflinger. Not that the breed has a bad reputation or anything!

Also known a 'hoolie halter', I have seen them used, once in a situation where a big 4 year old got carried away (blowing off steam) and then realized that he was bigger and stronger than his owner and kept buggering off when being lunged (never a problem at close quarters) dragging his owner behind him, this was used when everything else had been checked and all else failed rather than put a bit in and potentially ruin his mouth. It took perhaps 2 sessions with it before he learned it was no longer an option to drag his owner around, as long as he didn't lean on it, it did nothing. Certainly not something I liked the look of and it made me cringe but it was effective in that case, it could be devastating in the wrong hands though but so can any bit of metal you put in their mouth.

Reactions: AliciaA
I had something vaguely similar to this come in amongst some donated items - just the upper nose part of the head collar was metal.
Knowing the propensity of a certain section of the horse world over here, to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, my OH cut all the webbing off it and binned it!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers and chev
This is a horrible item and I would never use it, but it did amuse me slightly that one of the three sizes listed is horse/haflinger. Not that the breed has a bad reputation or anything!
Yes, my first thought was the sizing available seems to veer towards the larger end of the spectrum and that got me. You certainly need to sort out manners and personal space issues with a young draft before he learns he is bigger than you (and ideally he should never learn this!)
but doing it this way suggests you expect trouble before it arrives and start on the defence.

Reactions: Cortrasna
I have been asked to make motorbike chain cavessons. Where instead of the traditional lungeing cavesson iron being used across the nose of the cavesson, a big bike chain is used. It's a much more forgiving and neater fit than an English lunge cavesson.

Mine used to take off leading and take off lunging, took the gate clean off a few times.
I didn't need to go searching for something to break her nose.
I found a solution to the "problem" I did own but not use a be nice halter.

Why do they assume it's just colts that leave, mine was a opinionated madam.

Reactions: Cortrasna
When YO's horse was a 4 year old colt (trained and backed I might add) it took two people to bring him in from the field, one on each side to prevent him from attacking the other. No-one except YO and her husband was allowed near his box as he had the potential to lunge and attack, very aggressively. It wasn't a case of him just being stubborn and tanking off when he was led or lunged, it was a case of raging hormones making him unpredictable and potentially very aggressive. Maybe one person could have led him in from the field using this device, or maybe it would have broken his nose, I don't know. But I'm guessing that's the sort of horse that this device is aimed at.

Have to add that the colt was cut and he's a lovely sweet gelding now!

I agree that some horses need more restraint - but I really dislike how it is described: not as a last resort for an otherwise dangerous horse to be used by skilled people only - but as a solution to lack of training in a youngster or for 'winning' against aggression - which could easily be defensive or fear based. As @Wally and @Cortrasna say - sledge hammers versus nuts in many hands!

newrider.com