Did anyone else buy the new Parelli levels on the weekend?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Anyone else buy the new levels DVDs at the parelli celebration?

i bought all 4 (i know...expensive, but hey, why not as i had saved before hand)

well i have watched levels 1 and 2, didnt realise how much further i am in the levels! i havent ever done any offical levels/auditions....this i will now!

I think the new levels dvds are excellent, answered a load of my questions, and i dont feel so confused as to where to go and what to do next! I started parelli after they stopped selling level 2 and i felt 'lost' as to how to progress, i got the patterns but didnt feel it answered any questions, it just gave you ideas of what you can do!

im so pleased i spent the money on the new levels!

In what way are they different from the patterns? As with the patterns that's what you needed to know to submit your auditions.

When I did my two auditions, there were set patterns to do that were only in the patterns dvd that went from level 1 to 4.

I have freestyle patterns as plan to do ridden levels next.

IMO the levels DVDs give you the ingredients that allow you to do the patterns more easily and well. For example the level one disc goes through the seven games so you learn how to easily ask your horse, clearly, to move his/her forehand away, move the hind end, from close too and far away. To back them up and draw them to you and to circle and move sideways etc.

Once you have these building blocks you will know where to stand and how to ask your horse to do the figure 8 pattern without unintentionally blocking them with your body language.

The same with the ridden ones. They go over how to ask for transitions well, how to go round corners, do lots of moving of each foot o your horse. Then when it comes to the weave you'll be balanced and giving clear aids that your horse already understands.

I think the levels give you a lot of understanding of why you do things, equine behaviour, how to understand what is going on when you think your horse might be being 'lazy' or 'stubborn' or 'stupid'. The patterns are exercises that you can use to practice and hone the skills you get from the levels.

Last edited:
well basically, i had the old level 1, felt i was ready to move onto level2 and they had stopped making them and i struggled to get a second hand one, then they brought out the Patterns, which i bought and started applying and using. but as they didnt explain anything i felt a little confused.

i have now watched the new levels 1 & 2 and really feel they explain things far clearer and together with the patterns dvds i feel i can now progress out of the rut i have got into!

i totally agree with HeatherA, as even though i have had lessons and followed the old level 1 and the patterns, i didnt actually realise that my body language could have been confusing to Moet. For me though Its the Freestyle Level 2 DVD at the moment which is the missing link i have needed to find. I didnt feel there was any depth on the riding in the old level 1, it just touched on passenger lessons etc at the end, so i just didnt know how to progress, ok if i had managed to buy the old level 2 stuff then i prob wouldnt feel like that.

I do like the new way its been filmed and the level of information pat provides during what hes doing.

I had worked through the 'old' L1 pack, but then didn't get the L2 (couldn't afford it to start with and then it stopped being sold, and the secondhand ones are so expensive). The new combined L1 and L2 set are the answer to my prayers (sold my L1 pack and had regretted that) - especially with the discount price for Savvy Club members (I nearly cancelled my membership).

Hope to get the set very soon.

Ali xx

i had the new harmony pack, i waited until one came up on ebay and grabbed it. It's the best pack imo they're ever released. There was so much information in it.

Think though what happens is people are different levels for different savvy, the level 3 and 4 are split. So i'd need level 3 to progress my online but would that include freestyle 3?

Level 3 pack has three DVDs in - one on freestyle, one online and one on liberty work.

Level 4 pack has the above DVDs but at level 4, not level 3 and a fourth disc on Finesse.

The Level 1/2 pack has one Level one disc for online at level one then two Level 2 discs - one online at level 2 and one on Freestyle.

newrider.com