Diary of pony riding in the fiftys.

Ah, Cortrasna, could have, would have, should have, they are sad words.

What is great is that you remember her! The hon ABM lives on...

I really enjoyed that, thank you.

Lovely - Thank you for that. A short story? So beautifully written, and it brought tears to my eyes.

I got totally absorbed - beautifully writen - reminded me of reading the jilly books as a child, desperate to be like her with the piebald sh "tamed".

Really enjoyed that. Which part of Herts was this?

Also,...and you must have known this was coming.......are you going to get up in that loft and dig out some old photos of you and your pony????

Ah gawan gawan gawan! You know you want to!:bounce:

The fifties were a special time of riding! I was taught by a young person (possibly late 20's?) but her instructor was from the cavalry. We always turned out well in tweed hacking jackets and unwashable batwing jodphurs for lessons!!. By the early sixties wellies, jeans and shirts were accepted daily for hacking but we did the tweed etc for shows. Hats were optional and offered no protection!

A bit like the Jill stories!!

That was so beautifully written, evocative and nostalgic. Reading it made me long for the simpler, innocent days of my youth (a child of the 60s). I know we have to go forward, but your account shows how much we have lost in these days of over-protectiveness, health and safety, and fear of strangers.

I felt quite sad for the lady; it sounds as if she led a very lonely life, but at least she had her horse and dog. Oh, what it is to be older and wiser, and wish we had been kinder to our elders. I'm sure many of us feel the same, but unfortunately it seems to be natural to be selfish in our childhood.

Thank you for sharing those wonderful times with us, it was a real pleasure to read, albeit a little sad. I often wish I wasn't as nostalgic as I am, but thank goodness for those happy memories.

What a wonderfully written piece, Cortrasna.... you have a great style - absorbing, informative and amusing... can we have some more please? And I totally agree, you should try to get that published.... what about H&H??? It's not often these days that I can say "ooh, that was a bit before my time" - I was born in '63 but lots of your comments were still relevant when I used to gallop around on Thelwell ponies at a tender age....

What a lovely, well written and thought provoking story :smile:

You had me totally captivated, picturing it mentally all along and a little teary at the end...perfect.

You should def consinder writing short stories or a book, I'd add it too my small library of a spare room based on what i just read.

newrider.com