Diary of a pony on steroids

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
After much internal negotiation I have decided to try madam on steroids.

There are many things to consider, but primarily is her health and happiness. She has been pretty grumpy and troubled with a sore face recently and this was what pushed the decision.

Obviously there are concerns around laminitis - but I am massively aware of this and will monitor her closely. There are no evidential reports of her steroid type (prednidale) causing lami, but plenty of anecdotal evidence.

I've spoken at lengths with the vet, and we are starting her daily on half dose (125mg per day). I have managed to find the prescription super cheap online and its costing me about £2 per day (should be £6 at avg cost of tablets). It's costly but I'm hoping over time we can do alternate day therapy and possibly cut the dosage down too.

So here we go, we started yesterday and here are the pics prior to starting:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375735838.550101.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375735850.099518.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375735863.727131.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375735874.719034.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375735887.146035.jpg

-- 5th August --

Day two - Didnt take any photos today, but she was a little brighter last night than she has been and when I went to give her the tablets in the field she exploded in a fit of rears and bucks in excitement - something she never does! She was cheeky and bright.

Sorry to hear she's been down lately PFB. This is a good idea to help keep track of how she's keeping. I have every faith in you with the lammi risk. I have everything crossed for her.

-- Day 5 - 8th Aug --

So she was footy tonight - she is perfectly fine over Tarmac, on grass and in stable. She did an "ounchy head nod" twice tonight over the rough road planings surface to the field. Not stumbling or tripping or going to the verge but obvious nods all the same.

I'm trying to decide whether to:

- keep her in for 36hrs and review (with turnout in school for an hour or so)
- muzzle her (but limited grass in field anyway - they are maintaining weight)
- stop steroids

She has been so affectionate this week :wub: and hair is growing back in her face already.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375994998.871215.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375995013.913439.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375995037.149731.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375995057.437673.jpg

-- Day 7 - Aug 10 --

So we are now one week in on half dose daily (125mg per day).

I opted to bring her in off the grass for a bit to see if I could stop the footyness early enough. She has been in 24hrs now, and didn't do any ouchy head nods on the way to the school this morning. I will leave her in for another 24 hrs at least and then review tomorrow night :)

She is not really itchy and her hair is growing back on her face and she is happy :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376129784.433997.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376129797.723735.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376129812.949736.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376129832.158464.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376129847.018413.jpg

Hope it continues to work. I can imagine the struggle you feel with regard to lammi risk - having had to do similar early this year.

Awk mustve missed this thread before :poop:

She looks so much happier and it is good to see her coming back to her perky self :biggrin:

I think hats off to you to making such a hard decision which clearly is working and fingers crossed lami doesnt rear its ugly head xx

Hope it continues to work. I can imagine the struggle you feel with regard to lammi risk - having had to do similar early this year.

Yeah it is a hard decision but one I can reassess every day - I opted for tablets instead of injections as I can with draw treatment - whereas once injected, you can't reverse it. Also the vet seemed to think that tablets were better absorbed?

We went out for a breakfast walk this morning - she enjoyed herself :) she stumbled once but I think it was lack of concentration. I then walked and trotted her back bareback and she was good as gold :wub:

Sorry Vicki just caught up with this.

I know you have thought this though and made the best decision for Madam.

Her face looks so much better and she must be feeling better to.

It is good that you can with draw them if needed as well.

really positive so far - I am so pleased for you - a hard decision with the lammi risk - neighbour of ours is battling steroid induced lammi at the moment - injections - they were in the position that the injections were really the only option and the need out weighed the risk - - touch and go now for recovery but as she says if they hadn't she wouldn't be here now and she still has a chance. its the first time I have seen it although obviously knew about the risks
- your outcome is looking really positive - I am wondering if neigbour had had previous experience of lammi wether she could have maybe prevented the founder by recognising what was happening earlier - you are so obviously aware and on top of things madam is lucky to have you fighting her corner through all her problems.

really positive so far - I am so pleased for you - a hard decision with the lammi risk - neighbour of ours is battling steroid induced lammi at the moment - injections - they were in the position that the injections were really the only option and the need out weighed the risk - - touch and go now for recovery but as she says if they hadn't she wouldn't be here now and she still has a chance. its the first time I have seen it although obviously knew about the risks
- your outcome is looking really positive - I am wondering if neigbour had had previous experience of lammi wether she could have maybe prevented the founder by recognising what was happening earlier - you are so obviously aware and on top of things madam is lucky to have you fighting her corner through all her problems.

This is the thing, only by knowing her early warning lami signs can I adjust her management.

The vet says that there are no evidential reports of steroid induced laminitis on relation to prednisolone (prednidale is brand name) but she is definitely having foot issues - and had marks on her feet last time from the steroids.

However the basis that I can stop the tablets means that I have a better chance of preventing, or reducing the impact of any lami.

We have done week one, with significant improvement. I am optimistic that in 7-10 days I can cut the dose and start to find a base line management level for her - hopefully half dose every 2-3 days maybe once symptoms under control which will significantly help reduce lami worries. I also have the flexibility to increase dose should she need it

-- Day 10 -- 13 Aug --

So madam had stayed in from Fri morning to Sun evening as she had been footy. She was fine last night but a little stumbly again this morning - it seems to be her right fore more than is the issue.

Otherwise she is pretty good, chuffed really. She is being polite(r) to other horses too - horses went past her tonight when she was tied up and she didn't even put her ears back - never mind the usually stomping and swinging of back legs that goes on!

She now has hair behind her ears, and sprouts at the top of her tail! And all her face is now covered in tiny hairs - she hasn't had hair around eyes since she lost winter coat!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376420215.929851.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376420235.687807.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376420271.891762.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376420292.577555.jpg

newrider.com