Dex update: the Detrimental Effect of a Too-wide Saddle?

Rojeth

Definitely Not a Natural
Aug 15, 2005
Sometimes even i don't know
After reading Galadriels book (v. good btw!) i was wondering about the health effects (on the horse!) of a too-wide saddle? i understand that narrow saddles cause muscle wastage by being pinching and squeezing the muscle, and cause 'dents' along the topline. Does a wide saddle cause a similar phenomena?

Dex is now putting on weight, and i havent been riding him for about 4 weeks now: the last time i tried, his saddle sat right on his withers, and seemed very wide for him. He had previously lost a lot of weight after colicking, and im trying to decide if his saddle is too wide, or if he got too thin for it. He seems to have a dip in his back behind the wither, but im certain its not as bad as it was a few weeks ago, meaning its a result of weight loss.

Is it worth trying to pad it out until he recovers, or if it is the right width, have the saddle reflocked?

I cant ride for the next several weeks anyway because of my arm, so he has a few more weeks off. he is no longer stumbling and tripping, meaning he is starting to get muscle back, and he is much chirpier. We are both really enjoying our walks out in hand, and last week he decided to join the people toasting tatties in the ashes of the local bonfire! He is much steadier on the lunge, and im beginning to imagine what we will be able to do once we are both fit and healthy!

Yes, similar problem. The difference is the location of the pressure points. In a too-wide saddle, the pressure points are closer to the spine.

There's a difference between a saddle being a little too loose due to muscle loss, and a saddle being actually too wide. A too wide saddle has the wrong angle for the horse's shoulder. A saddle which has the correct angles, but is just sitting too low due to muscle loss, is just about the *only* situation in which I'd recommend padding up temporarily.

There's a difference between a saddle being a little too loose due to muscle loss, and a saddle being actually too wide. A too wide saddle has the wrong angle for the horse's shoulder. A saddle which has the correct angles, but is just sitting too low due to muscle loss, is just about the *only* situation in which I'd recommend padding up temporarily.

i cant get down the field until the weekend and will try the saddle on again then (but not ride ;) ) and look at the angle of the shoulder. Ill be sat there with loose pages blowing all over the field trying to work it out :p. I cant imagine his saddle has always been this bad - he gives no indication of pain in his back(i do the massages in your book, galadriel), he isnt girthy, he works in a wonderful outline and REALLY works from behind (you can feel the difference when you put your leg on).

Im not feeling any desire to ride at the moment though, despite the arm. I think im getting my horsey fix from spending time with him, and we both have a good time walking out in hand. I need the exercise as much as he does!

I've been using fybagee to pad out under my saddle, it was suggested by a HM fitter as a temporary measure to compensate for muscle wastage. It seems to work really well, it's cheap, very soft, you can use as much or little as you want & as the wastage improves, you can remove it a layer at a time. I started with 4 bits, it's taken about 3 months & I've removed all the fybagee, P is still growing so time for a new saddle I think! Obviously it doesn't look 'smart' having bits of fybagee poking out the front of the saddle but if the horse is happy, I'm happy.

newrider.com