DETTOL fly spray?

Well poor wee Katie the lamb was brought in last night and I sheared her. I can tell you now I got some enjoyment out of watching all the maggots getting chomped up by the electric shears.:p:eek: She was very good, i put a wee halter on her for the first time and tied her up and she stood very still once I got to work. I think they know its helping and the must feel the benefit. I then rubbed maggot oil into her skin, which smells lovely, its an oil in a can that is supposed to soothe the skin and it also has a small amount of repellent in it. It smells like citronella? Oh and the Deosect is working, no clegs on Marley ..:D

Reactions: Jessey
We use diluted Dettol in Warm water as part of our show prep, the shine is good and keeps the flies away - a tip picked up from a racing stud visit.

I use deosect among other things but deosect is my staple, I just dilute it down and spray on fly rugs, it's kept our ponies sweet itch very much under control. Expensive to buy, but the metal bottle lasts ages as you only use a tiny bit with water and it's still smells strongly. Neem oils also good as is itch stop salve. I use antihistamines is needed with sweet itch to stop the itch scratch cycle too. x

We have deosect, prescribed via Vet due to Charlie being on box rest - amount we are to use will last all 4 for years

Sweet itch aside, I do wonder if we can over use products, then the horse loses its natural ability to deal with flies.

Mine has had a good roll, got covered in dust, grass and plant stuff.
She has buddies to pair up with for a fly swish session, she has legs, she can move around to find the breeze spots.

We don't really have too many flies though, we have a flock of crows and swallows. When I mean a flock, it's probably 40 crows, it's like Alfred Hitchcock!

Some cope better than others I think, hank is much less bothered than jess, he doesn't even seem to notice the few mosquitos that I see on his back, jess on the other hand gets loads and comes out in hives and it drives her to distraction. Hank never seems to get sore lumps from them like jess.
I've always fly rugged jess when they are bad as her full brother has full blown sweet itch.

Reactions: joellie
newrider.com