Deosect - Your experiences

Jun 28, 2006
Lovely Leicester
Heard about Deosect from someone on ILurfSmurf's yard and wanted to do some research :)

What experiences have you had with it?

Has it had any detrimental effects on your horse?

The person I met was using a conscentration of 1 capful for 2 thirds of a pint of water, what do you use?

Thanks guys :)

The correct way to dilute it is 10ml in 500ml of water. It can be used for killing lice or as a general fry repellant. I have used it on my mare and it was fine. Dont use it any less dilluted than above though. Its strong stuff and stinks to high heaven!

Very interested in this thread, thanks for posting :)

Just found this from H&H
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3332472/Main/3331242/

This one is a bit more worrying...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4013345,00.html

Deosect is a highly poisonous neurotoxin developed to kill parasites on horses and chicken....
Deosect contains high concentrations of the controversial pesticide Cypermethrin - which is used in sheep dip and some scientists claim causes sterility and cancer.

Found http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189817
Think will PM LinzCoz & Zsazsa

we use cypermethrin at work (pest control) never hurd anything about it causing cancer though?? It's fully licenced still so i wouldn't worry about that bit too much. They are pretty hot at removing licences if things are dangerous to health.

I've not used deosect but we use cypermethrin for fleas/bedbug and flies and thing so i should imagin it'd work. Just make sure you use as directed :)

RR, never heard of it causing cancer? :eek:

Slave2Magic said:
The correct way to dilute it is 10ml in 500ml of water. It can be used for killing lice or as a general fry repellant. I have used it on my mare and it was fine. Dont use it any less dilluted than above though.

Well the lady in question had it more diluted for her horse, and it still worked incredibly well...what are your reasons for saying you cant dilute it more?

Oh and H4E.....That georgous horsey developed a reaction to deosect yesterday, after using it for a week....thats ANOTHER allergy to add to the list :rolleyes:

I was given deosect for my mare to treat lice and was then told the rest can be used as fly repellent by my vet. It must be dilluted 1 part deosect to 50 parts water and no less than that, else it will sting.

It is an absolute god send for my horses, it's the only thing I have found to work on them in 10 years of trying and would recommend it to anyone as long as it is used correctly.

Very interested in this thread, thanks for posting :)

Just found this from H&H
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3332472/Main/3331242/

This one is a bit more worrying...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4013345,00.html

Deosect is a highly poisonous neurotoxin developed to kill parasites on horses and chicken....
Deosect contains high concentrations of the controversial pesticide Cypermethrin - which is used in sheep dip and some scientists claim causes sterility and cancer.

Found http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189817
Think will PM LinzCoz & Zsazsa

I am pleased you brought this up. There was a lot of publicity about cypermethryn a few years back and its affects. I am disgusted that it is available to horse owners, most of whome have not got a clue how to handle dangerous chemicals safely.

This stuff can bring on awful ailments years after exposure and the idea of kids messing with it and thinking it is safe because some idiot says it is is just a disgrace. I was handed a bottle of this stuff by a vet a few years ago without any warnings or advice at all except to dilute it fify to one, I never used it and found another way of getting rid of the lice.

I will not go into the details of what that pesticide is suspected or known to do, just say do not let your kids handle it and PLEASE do not go near it if you are pregnant or plan to become so.

I've always used it, not in the way it says on the can though!. I just pour a bit in a spray bottle and dilute, then use it like any other fly repellant, I get 5 spray bottles out of one can so think it works out a bit cheaper. It is the only thing that works, apart from jeyes!

This stuff can bring on awful ailments years after exposure and the idea of kids messing with it and thinking it is safe because some idiot says it is is just a disgrace. I was handed a bottle of this stuff by a vet a few years ago without any warnings or advice at all except to dilute it fify to one, I never used it and found another way of getting rid of the lice.

I will not go into the details of what that pesticide is suspected or known to do, just say do not let your kids handle it and PLEASE do not go near it if you are pregnant or plan to become so.

Can I ask where you've seen this?? All the paperwork I can find relating to the pesticides we use containing cypermethrin (all professional use only, not available to the public and normally containing higher concentrates of chemicals) state risks that would come from misuse. As long as you are using the product properly I would be surprised to find that it was "dangerous".
I would however be interested to read any documentation you know of :)

My advice to anyone useing the product or indeed any other product is to follow the instructions, after all they are there for a reason :D

Organophosphate!!!!! :eek:

Wear protective clothing Gloves, mask and overalls. especially when you spray the stuff, it's supposed to be applied via a sponge so it doesn't mist and get inhaled. DO NOT SPRAY IT!!
Be very careful when you use this. it should not be marketed to horseowners like it is. It's a PML priscribed merchant list product. meaning that they keep a record of where and who it goes to. reason? when they finally decide that it's lethal they contact you to get it back!

This is the same stuff as in sheep dip. comercial dippers have to have a licence to use it. it doesn't repel flys it kill them. the OP stays on the horse and a small amount is passed to the fly or lice and poisons them.

I have seen the effects of OP's on farmers and contract sheep dippers. and nerve damage is easy to spot. one chap i know is in a wheel chair. :mad:

What would that do to your horse when used over the course of its life? i would rather not take the chance.

Nerve deseases BSE and Scrapy in sheep sound too much like OP poisoning to me. And i saw a very insightful documentry about the plotting of maps of wable fly treatment (OP) in cattle and the map of where BSE started in England and they were very similar spots!

Right, i'm of my shop box now! Pheew!:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the information everyone :) Would be interested to know of any horses (and their owners perhaps) who have had detrimental effects whilst using it as although terrible though it is neveragain what happened to the chap in the wheelchair :( I'm presuming he was exposed to it in greater quantities than one would using it as a fly spray?

Yes the chap in the wheel chair dipped sheep for alot of farmers on a contractor basis.
No one can say for certain what OP's do. but when you've used it (as i have) without gloves (stupidly!) you fell a tingling sensation in your skin. i also worked on farms since i was 15, including sheep dipping. All i know is that looking back now the sick feeling must have been from the chemical. i only looked in to OP about 5 years ago some 10-12 years after having contact with the stuff.
I think it's good stuff and as it kills the flys rather than repels them i'm sure that it goes along way to reducing the population of flys. But i would be worried for the safety of my horse with long term use.

Just be careful wear the gloves, don't spray it. and follow the directions and dillution rates carefully and don't over dose. (and defo don't "stick a bit in a bottle and fill it up")

So, if you are spongeing it on, do you have to cover every bit of the horse or is it a bit like frontline - put it on the neck and it travels?

I wouldnt think 500ml (with 10ml deosect) which is the recommended dose for a horse is going to go terribly far on a sponge.

Yes you cover the horse with it. and use a little sponge and start at the top and work down. the oils in the coat move it around anyway but it is meant to be used like sheepdip. ie dip them in it. But they can't find a bath big enough!:D

Thanks for the information everyone :) Would be interested to know of any horses (and their owners perhaps) who have had detrimental effects whilst using it as although terrible though it is neveragain what happened to the chap in the wheelchair :( I'm presuming he was exposed to it in greater quantities than one would using it as a fly spray?

What neveragain says is good advice. What people must understand is that the detrimental effects can take a long time to come on and the damage is permanent.

I have been around the horse world for decades and have yet to see anyone taking proper precautions when using toxic chemicals.

Can I ask where you've seen this?? All the paperwork I can find relating to the pesticides we use containing cypermethrin (all professional use only, not available to the public and normally containing higher concentrates of chemicals) state risks that would come from misuse. As long as you are using the product properly I would be surprised to find that it was "dangerous".
I would however be interested to read any documentation you know of :)

My advice to anyone useing the product or indeed any other product is to follow the instructions, after all they are there for a reason :D

The important things you mention here are proffessional use and proper precautions. This is far removed from anything you are ever likely to see on a livery yard. You are obviously well versed in handling nasty chemocals and know how to protect youself, even a pair of latex gloves can be rendered useless if you do not know how to take them off the right way. Cypermethrin can absorb through the skin yet the was no warning of this on the bottle a vet gave me.

The two links I have posted here are out of date and come from the late nineties and they do not give any info on the chronic effects of this stuff. I will do a bit of research on this over the next few days and get back to you when I find the info I have already refered to.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/cypermethrin.pdf

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/cypermet.htm

What I have noticed already is that there is a lot of contradicting information posted about this chemical...... not very helpful when trying to do a risk assessment.

I used it on Rambo for years, I use it on Lance & Lucy ....
Everytime the farmer brigns new sheep into the next door field, we get insectoids on our horses and after a Deosect application they're gone for a few months again.

newrider.com