Dentist wants to break my jaw

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Some of you may remember I'm scared of the dentists. Well one of my teeth has cracked so need a crown and a couple more fillings which is bad enough.

Then she said I really should get my bite sorted out, I only bite on my back teeth. I've had jaw ache recently. But I've said no, really don't think I could go through that. Why did my other dentist never do anything? Anyone had it done? Not sure if I was right to say no ...

Not sure what your dentist means really Ale. Unless it's a problem for you I wouldn't have it done but then I am a coward where dentists are concerned.

Are you seeing a private dentist? Pm me if you want to know more, but if you like I can ask mine, he is marvellous and I trust his opinion, if you'd like me to ask him what it involves next time I visit I would be happy to. Shame you are so far from me, he really is amazing. Personally, I'm of the if it isn't broke then don't fix opinion - but it is ulitmately your choice. And don't be bullied either!
I have a night guard because I grind / clench and chew weirdly! Maybe something as simple as that could help ?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
You should get an opinion from the dental department at the hospital local to you . Highly recommended. Used by OH and by my daughter for her child. Will pm you . And any surgery needs to wait for the tonsil situation to be sorted out.

I'm nhs. I don't think I will be doing anything about it, I don't want to go through all that when all I get is a little ache and my teeth getting cracked every now and then. Thankyou for the advice, think I was just shocked by her thinking something so drastic needs to be done.

My sister had a similiar operation (two actually, I think) - I think she feels it was worthwhile now.

The only thing I'd want to make sure myself, is that by turning it down now, would it affect it going ahead in the future if your pain or ctacks worse.

Reactions: MrA
New crown fitted but dentist doesn't think it will last due to bite issues. If it comes out again will have to be referred to possibly sort out jaw. Time will tell!

I'm intrigued about your bite issues (I am a bit dental work obsessed). Did your dentist offer up any possible causes? Are there any alternatives to the jaw re-alignment?

Just the way my mouth is as far as I know. There are lots of options but would need to discuss with a consultant, I will try and take a photo later if I remember to show you my bite, unless that's weird.

Reactions: Trewsers
My friend had a jaw realignment surgery where his jaws were broken and re wired and his teeth realigned. It was mostly successful, the surgeon didn't align one side correctly but this is being rectified now. I will say though he does look completely different but he had a tremendous underbite though and with his jaws where they should be obviously his facials structure has changed.

He lost alot of weight through 8 weeks of having his jaws wired and drinking everything and he obviously had to take pain mess and be careful until he healed but he doesn't have the jaw pain anymore and can eat more effectively

I think you do need to think deep about this one. Sorting your jaw out will not only improve your bite, but save your back teeth, meaning less visits in the future. Yes, you could have up to a a year of treatment, but then it'll be only two maybe three visits a year, which is worth it in the long run.
For you it's more than just cosmetic, you're meant to be able to use your canines and front teeth to bite your food, where as your molars are meant to grind your food down. You're probably conditioned to aiming for your back teeth at meal time, and don't know any different, but the dentist is right, you'd be doing your mouth a favour by putting the jaw where it should be.
It might seem like bullying, but it's not, really it isn't. I didn't go to the dentist for years, and that cost me several molars, and teeth crowding which both need to be rectified. I can probably cope without the missing teeth, but I find it hard to cope with how crooked my front teeth have gone, and even went to see an orthodontist last week, with the prospect of wearing braces, something I dismissed as a teenager. I'm possibly going for fixed upper and bottom, to not only bring my teeth back into line, but enable me to have implants in the gaps left by pulled out teeth.
When you get into your 40s, your jaw will change, that's something else to bare in mind, things could get worse, or maybe not, but please keep that in mind too.

I think I would go and speak to the consultant and see what they have to say about it, it doesn't hurt to fully explore the options and if it will stop you breaking more teeth that's got to be a good thing :)

newrider.com