Deep breaths Trewsers - MIL strikes again...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Arggghhhhhh:banghead::banghead: What part does MIL not understand about us not wanting Easter Eggs and hundreds of chocolates???????????? I have tried being diplomatic but now this is getting silly. We have this EVERY Easter - either that or she tries to force us into bottles of wine (which we rarely touch so a waste of her money). For the past two years I've managed to prevent it, but today she collared OH when I wasn't around and bent his ear - saying she didn't know what to buy us (nothing would be appropriate after all we are only age 41!!!!!!!!!!!!) Sorry if I sound grumpy and ungrateful but it does annoy me, specially since she knows I have a weight problem and also a heart problem which does not allow me to eat chocolate anyway:skull: Right, finished ranting, had to vent - don't have anybody else to tell atm.:redface:

Hahahahahhaaha, thing is, she NEVER buys me what I want - just what she thinks we ought to have........................!!! ie, chocolates, cakes, wine, beer...........it is like she is determined my weight will never get back to what it should be. Heaven help me if we'd had kids - I dread to think. I could go on all day, but I know if we'd had kids she'd have stuffed 'em up with food......

Gratefully accept the wine and then post it on to me :bounce:

Don't know the solution as my MIL lives in France and when she does come over every 5 months or so she happily brings me Cava and buys us a takeaway which is fine with me!

lol Claire - I would gladly pass on the wine!!! Honestly though, it wears me down. I am sure she convinces herself that we are still children, after all, Easter is for kids right????! Well, it always was years ago!lol. Whata grump I sound......can't help it, she is so over-bearing, she really does drive me nuts on these "festive" occasions. Christmas is another I dread, and Bank HOlidays - least she is away for some of those.....(runs away sounding mean.......)

I'd accept wine and would just give it to a local club for their raffle. She probably feels that she must give you something and feels guilty if she doesn't. Just accept gracefully and give away to a good cause. :biggrin:

If she needs it to be food orientated then why not ask for something you really like - a special treat (lobster for example?) or a selection of really lush herb and spices, a subscription to a monthly farm fresh food box or an organic hamper. Find something you DO want, and wouldnt normally splash out on - that way you'll both be happy :)

I can see both sides - she just wants to do something nice for you and probably doesnt feel able to show her affection in any other way and just doesnt 'get' how much yopu'd appreciate a new bridle :D Plus you get a bit of luxury and a treat - win win all round is always a good solution :)

You do kind of seem to be picking an arguement? I appreciate she is not listening either. Its all a bit deeper that easter eggs I suspect. Cultivate some magnanimy, be the 'adult' AND get a treat :)

Why, if she continues to do it, let it get to you in the first place, especially
as you seem to know she is going to do it anyway.

Just smile, say 'Thankyou very much' and leave it there. Wine/Chocolates
whatever, put them away and give them to somebody else on Birthdays/
Christmas.

I agree with Domane 'Life is too short to let it get too you' waste of
energy :biggrin:

OR, if she asks again say 'flowers would be lovely':biggrin:

Thanks guys! Appreciate it might look like I'm being petty, and yes, life is too short, BUT, I DID ask her in previous years (knowing she wanted to buy us something) if she'd pick a gift from the Hillside catalogue or something similar, she didn't seem to be keen on this? I then suggested (as did OH) that it would be lovely if she would donate to an animal from one of the charities that we support. She did do it in the end, but seemed to be a bit annoyed. So, in answer to people saying try and steer her towards giving us something we actually want - I have already tried that and it was like pulling the proverbial teeth!!! Still, the birds will enjoy the chocolate.......

You do kind of seem to be picking an arguement? I appreciate she is not listening either. Its all a bit deeper that easter eggs I suspect. Cultivate some magnanimy, be the 'adult' AND get a treat :)

Yep, you're right, its a lot deeper than just eggs......:wink: She is a very "controlling" person, which goes against the grain with me, I am not a herd animal and don't take kindly to being (or feeling like) I am being invaded or pushed. For instance, atm, at every opportunity she brings up the fact that OH and myself don't have a telly anymore. She is obsessed with this fact and keeps threatening to buy us one!!!!!!:stomp: We don't want one, and have expressed kindly and nicely to her that we don't have any desire to watch it, but it falls on deaf ears! Have explained over and over again that if we wanted a tv we would buy ourselves one!!!
She seems to think that there are certain "things" that one should have and do, and we don't seem to be conforming, (since turning 40 I have rebelled rather!!!) and it isn't sitting well with her.

newrider.com