Debbie the sheep update..pics**bit gory**

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
I went down this morning and to tell the truth I was worried she would be lying dead, everyone tells me that sheep die easily but I have had all my girls for 3 years now.. anyhow she seemed well :) I brought her and another in and injected her first as that was the part I was dreading..hate injecting animals, so I got that out of the way, then I set to the business of washing the wound and area with warm water that I had added hibiscrub too. I also squeezed the lump and more clear fluid came out, at least it is now clear. Then i clipped the wool away from around the wound and sprayed it all. She was very good throughout the whole ordeal except for the injection she did a song and dance before I even got the needle in :rolleyes: but apart from that I think she knows it is helping her.
Here are the pics but anyone easily squeamish might not want to see them.
06.06.17.debbie.1.jpg 06.06.17.debbie.3.jpg 06.06.17.debbie.6.jpg 06.06.17.debbie.7.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
awwh poor lassie, really glad you got the vet to come out. (i wasnt very impressed with the inital attitude you reported eek). Sometimes less is more with sheep BUT when people say they are good at dying and dropping dead for no reason it’s usually because they are very good at hiding how ill they actually are until it’s too late. Looks like you’re doing a cracking job there, good sheepie-nursing :) x

@CharliesAngel I totally agree with that you are saying. When I first got my girls all my husbands farmer friends all warned me that I would lose the odd one as one of their favourite sayings was "what do sheep do best..die!" they all laughed at me when I opened up the yard for them in the winter evenings so they could take themselves too bed if they chose to, where they had nice straw bedding and plenty of hay. I didn't lose one that first winter, plus touch wood I haven't lost any yet and hopefully I wont as I do love each one of them. I only have the eight girls and I know each of them as individual wee characters. I explained to the vets receptionist when I rang them again insisting someone came out, that my sheep where" speshial sheep" cause they were mine lol (and yes i know i spelt special incorrect on purpose as thats how i said it to her lol )

That does look clean fortunately.
I have a few more sheep than you but I am a softy and in the winter I to like you open the shed so they can come and go. I have loads of hayracks and the sheep line up in the shed to eat and stay out the wet weather.
I'm so softy that one of my cows has been attacked by the flies round her eyes so to stop the flies getting to her she's in during the day eating hay, out at night but to stop the hay sticking to the cream I've put on round the eyes I dressed her up. It a bit small as it's only pony sized but who said fly masks were for horses.

IMG_20170606_205752.jpg

That does look clean fortunately.
I have a few more sheep than you but I am a softy and in the winter I to like you open the shed so they can come and go. I have loads of hayracks and the sheep line up in the shed to eat and stay out the wet weather.
I'm so softy that one of my cows has been attacked by the flies round her eyes so to stop the flies getting to her she's in during the day eating hay, out at night but to stop the hay sticking to the cream I've put on round the eyes I dressed her up. It a bit small as it's only pony sized but who said fly masks were for horses.

View attachment 86891
Awk look at her, is she a Dexter? My husband was thinking of getting Dexters but I didn't know what we would do with them as I get too attached and couldn't let them go for meat :oops: Yes who said fly masks were just for horses, your cow wears it well lol :p;)

Yes she's a Dexter. She is just a lawn mower now. We don't breed from her anymore. We use them for conservation grazing. They make nice house cows/pets. You could have fresh milk.

Reactions: joellie
@chunky monkey did she get used to the fly mask easily? The little steer I have is being bothered around the eyes and I'm guessing the owner is not doing anything as he is going in the freezer at the end of the summer...but I feel bad for him and have a fly mask that's too big for Hank......

@Jessey Yes she's been fine with it on. Without it she was scratching with the back foot and wounds made worst. With it on she was rubbing her face on the wall in the shed but no damage done.
When I turned her out at night with the calves I was worried they would chew it and it would come off. So I put it on with a head collar over the top. The strap over the poll, over the mask kept it in place perfectly. Not come off once.
I get her in during the day, left it on in the shed as the hay was sticking to the face where I've been creaming her twice a day.
Funny enough when I got her in this morning I took it off to let her skin breath and didn't cream her today to stop the hay sticking. Her face wounds have nearly healed. But I think I will put the mask back on tonight for another week.
The teat unfortunately is still badly damaged. She keeps licking at it with her coarse tongue. Any scabs just get removed and it keeps bleeding. I need and udder mask.
If it's amenable apply some cream to the wounds. I've been using sudocreme, betnovate and some yellow summer fly cream.

@Jessey Yes she's been fine with it on. Without it she was scratching with the back foot and wounds made worst. With it on she was rubbing her face on the wall in the shed but no damage done.
When I turned her out at night with the calves I was worried they would chew it and it would come off. So I put it on with a head collar over the top. The strap over the poll, over the mask kept it in place perfectly. Not come off once.
I get her in during the day, left it on in the shed as the hay was sticking to the face where I've been creaming her twice a day.
Funny enough when I got her in this morning I took it off to let her skin breath and didn't cream her today to stop the hay sticking. Her face wounds have nearly healed. But I think I will put the mask back on tonight for another week.
The teat unfortunately is still badly damaged. She keeps licking at it with her coarse tongue. Any scabs just get removed and it keeps bleeding. I need and udder mask.
If it's amenable apply some cream to the wounds. I've been using sudocreme, betnovate and some yellow summer fly cream.
He's a bit wild still but I'm always game for a giggle, who will be wearing more cream by the end.....? :p

Umm, I wonder. As swan already had previous eye problems she is a little sensitive when I apply the cream to her eyes and yet she's fine with me creaming her teat. Her head swings all over the place. Glad I won't need to cream her for much longer.
Just try with the fly mask for now once it's on he should be fine.

newrider.com