Death to all horse flies

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Eeeeek! Today here it's dull and breezy. Not really that warm at all, I rode in a jacket - to give an idea on temperature. Anyways, merrily riding along and suddenly both OH and I (who was walking beside us) felt a surge of heat - like a warm blast. About thirty seconds after this I felt a terrific nip on my thigh:eek: Looked down and bloomin horse fly tucking into my leg through my skinny jeans:mad: How dare it?!!!! Just got back into the house and applied my After Bite stick to the swelling. So cross as I wasn't expecting them - but I guess they just were hatching out and came after the weird warm blast??? Horrid creatures:mad:
When will they go??? They seem to be lingering!

Ouch I feel your pain. I got bitten by a mozzie down by the river last night, my calf has a lump the size of a tennis ball today and the damn itching is driving me nuts.

Ouch I feel your pain. I got bitten by a mozzie down by the river last night, my calf has a lump the size of a tennis ball today and the damn itching is driving me nuts.

Aren't they horrid?!:mad: Do you use anything in particular afterwards?
The cheek of it though biting through cloth!

I've been bitten though t-shirt and bra! Wasn't even riding, I was walking the dog in the woods. it's swelled up and gone hard. Hate them! I feel your pain!

I managed to get bitten on my neck, leg and arm this weekend, luckily I seem to have swatted then before they could stick too much of the irritant into me and a hefty dose of antihistamines seems to be keeping the swelling at bay. Poor Jess is still being terrorized and won't keep her mask on :( new fly rug is meant to arrive tomorrow so hopefully that will help

I really didn't think they could get you through clothes but this year they've been and got me twice! Pesky things. I need to eat more marmite!

I managed to get bitten on my neck, leg and arm this weekend, luckily I seem to have swatted then before they could stick too much of the irritant into me and a hefty dose of antihistamines seems to be keeping the swelling at bay. Poor Jess is still being terrorized and won't keep her mask on :( new fly rug is meant to arrive tomorrow so hopefully that will help

Aw poor lass. Hope her rug arrvies.

Reactions: Jessey
As well as our horrid Crab flies we are now getting "Dark Giant" horseflies, here they are, look like flying bombs!
That looks similar to what we call dive bombers- but ours are a bit more black and have a kind of white butt.
They are gigantic and scary--Saw the first one this year today Andi was running around bucking - I was trying to get it she was not helping and then it flew off :mad:

The fly preditors won't prevent them and the fly traps also don't seem to get them.
Thank goodness we don't see them often-one is more than enough

I got bitten again this morning whilst poo picking the arena. I have also made a discovery - they thrive in nettle patches! I was about to trim back some nettles from behind the fence and loads flew out when I disturbed them. So one swollen hand later, I have at least discovered where they hang out! I need to get rid of as many nettles as possible on that basis! Chloe eats some of the taller ones dotted around the field edge but nobody seems to go for these. Thankfully I've put some After Bite on and it's taken the swelling down quite a bit.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com