My Pony Has A Dead Mouth Whitch Bit Should I use
The Two Bits I've Used Are

1)The Snaffle
:confused:
2)The Valcimir Pelam

They Both Work But Should I Get A New Bit Alltogther

Thank~You

what do you mean ''dead''??

i would use a snaffle personally. why would you need to use a stronger?? bit.IMO he has a dead mouth because hes been in a strong bit and it doesnt take any effect on him.

Anneli
xx:)

My awnser to everything these days seems to be try bitless. Of course it may not work for you but I had a friend with a 13.3hh stock pony.

She had been used as a ridding school mount for years and was so hard in the mouth you were basically just along for the ride. We put her in a hackamore (the soft kind) and she was instantly better. She was willing but when a bit when in the mouth she just tuned out.

There is no point useing harsher and harsher bits, you need to start training again from the beginning. If you go with a stronger bit you could just cause more damage to the nerves in her mouth.

My Pony Has A Dead Mouth Whitch Bit Should I use
The Two Bits I've Used Are

1)The Snaffle
:confused:
2)The Valcimir Pelam

They Both Work But Should I Get A New Bit Alltogther

Thank~You

My old chap, in his SJ days before I had him, used to get used to a bit in about 2 weeks and just run through it. Is that the sort of thing you mean ? That in certain situations the horse ignores the bit ?

If so, I expect you would find, like the people who had my boy before me, that he would just start to ignore stronger bits as you tried them.

I actually did something similar to what Waikito Valuta suggests and downgraded the bit and tack he was in, but put in a lot of work in terms of schooling.

I do mean schooling for SJ though we did end up doing dressage as well (so we can do one day events - we did the fastest dressage tests in the west ;) )

Often in situations like this "less is more" ;)

Hi i would personally try a 3 ring gag or the 3 ring snaffle as its also known. I owned a 15 hand irish cob x arab and nothing could stop him i also tried a hackamore which again couldnt stop him. I tried all sorts of nosebands which might help your pony, but i found that the 3 ring gag certainly helped i used the different rings for different events, the bottom for x country or pleasure rides etc when i knew he was going to get more excited. :D

I don't think a harsher bit is the answer.

I think resting your horses mouth so it's no longer dead is the answer.

I have seen this bit of advice on the Fylde website;

We are getting a lot of calls off customers who`s horses are not responding to their bit. Peters tip of the month for people having biting problems is to re-mouth their animals before they start swapping bits around. Peter used to ride the dray horses as a child and as these shires were used to pulling 20 tons around all day, their mouths became dead to a riders hands so they used to re-mouth them for three days before they rode them at the autumn show. The diastema in the mouth can become hard and so the bit is not having the correct effect, its a little like us having a seg on the palm of our hand so you loose the feeling on that particular area. This is Peters little secret of how to supple the mouth back up to make it more responsive.

Take three metal curb chains dip them in honey or treacle and tie them on to the head collar to act as a bit, leave it on the horse in the stable for about three hours a day for three consecutive days and you will finds this will soften the mouth and the customers that have tried this have been amazed at how much lighter their horses have become and much more responsive to their existing bit. Once you have tried this and the horse is not happy in his mouth then you can start to try different combinations of bits.

I agree with the principle (re-mouthing the horse) but I'm not sure it'd work. Chev & CVB?

A harsher bit is rarely the answer.

If the horse is not responding to your requests first thing to do is make sure you know exactly what it is you are asking the horse to do.

Your horse's mouth is not "dead", m'dear. If your vet were to come along and stick a needle or a scalpel into your horse's mouth, you would soon see that it is no more "dead" than the rest of him. I am sure that he is still well-able to sense what it is that he is eating; his lips and tongue are just as sensitive as they always were. Except when he is being ridden.

As another poster has so wisely written. "Less is more".

He is ignoring the bit because either (a) he is ignorant of its meaning and/or (b) a stronger force than that of the bit ensures that he keeps moving.

You need to find out where this behaviour stems from before putting different forms of hardware in his mouth.

I don't think a harsher bit is the answer.

I think resting your horses mouth so it's no longer dead is the answer.

I have seen this bit of advice on the Fylde website;

I agree with the principle (re-mouthing the horse) but I'm not sure it'd work. Chev & CVB?

If you are going to "remouth" - the rider needs to be prepared to ride a remouthed horse. And often the horse and rider have got into a bit of a rut where they are *both* pulling and not listening.

Riding a horse without a bit can break that cycle - but it requires as much change from the rider as from the horse. So whether it would work would depend as much on the rider as on the horse. (IMHO)

It's something I want to do with Daffy at a later date (just to see if it makes a difference, he seems happy enough in his snaffle) but I don't feel up to the task just now. I imagine that for it to be effective, the rider needs a light and consistant contact, and I certainly do not have one of those.

I actually did something similar to what Waikito Valuta suggests and downgraded the bit and tack he was in, but put in a lot of work in terms of schooling. Often in situations like this "less is more" ;)

This is exactly what I did, one of my mare's runs through her bit, I down graded everything, no martingale, changed her from a pelham to a hanging cheek snaffle. Then I did lots of transitions concentrating on the downward transitions, while doing them I tighten my thighs against the saddle to teach her to be controlled by my weight aids rather than hanging on her mouth, she's getting the hang of it although its still work in progress but it does work, I am now able to slow her and do transitions from trot to walk with a small half halt and tightening my thighs against the saddle.

newrider.com