Day trip to York...

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
NO WHERE TO PARK:banghead::banghead:
Who ever suggested this park and ride scheme, didn't think that people wouldn't be able to park, because the b***** car parks were full!
Ended up paying £6 for 3 hours in a multi story car park next to M&S..

Been looking for the 'Mallard' a huge steam train, related to the Flying Scotsman, whom also wasn't there:stomp:.... so had to make do with 'King George v' instead.. got piccies, will down load later:smoke: (National Railway museum which is free entry).. also raided the M&S for scrummy cheesecakes:tongue: they're sat in the freezer, Strawberry, Blackcurrant and Lemon.... YUMMMY!!

Another who likes York very much too :) We've found pay and display parking outside the walls and walked in the last couple of times we've been.

I didn't find the joules shop:frown: We didn't get to York until about 2.. there was an accident on the A64.. 3 cars on grass verge:unsure: one on towing vehicle (were no injuries, cars didn't look damaged)...

I used to take the kids to the railway museum every summer as a treat - we saw the Mallard lots of times - it was my eldest son's favourite engine. Mine was the huge black Chinese one, don't know whether it's still there. We used to catch the train from Selby to avoid parking in York - it was a double treat to go on a train too.

I hate parking in York, have never known the park and ride full though - oh dear! Glad you got there in the end though.

I used to take the kids to the railway museum every summer as a treat - we saw the Mallard lots of times - it was my eldest son's favourite engine. Mine was the huge black Chinese one, don't know whether it's still there. We used to catch the train from Selby to avoid parking in York - it was a double treat to go on a train too.

I hate parking in York, have never known the park and ride full though - oh dear! Glad you got there in the end though.

The big Chinese train is still there:wink: Mallard isn't:frown: It was there on the last visit I made with my late Grandma:unsure: Bit of a trip down memory lane, as I used to stay with her and my Granddad for a week every summer at this time..

Some piccies.... the last one is what my OH said, wants me to tell work that was the last picture he took before he disappeared:bounce: LOL!

Last edited:
Oooo me me me! :wavespin:

Lived there for 3 years for University, graduated this year and missing it already.

For future reference (although shouldn't be telling you!) you can park along the small roads just outside the city walls, if you travel into York towards the University and then park along Heslington Road and the off-shooting roads. There are usually a few spaces along there, as long as you don't stay too long and block the residents out. It's free, and only 10 minute walk from the centre.

I wish I was still there :cry:

Oooo me me me! :wavespin:

Lived there for 3 years for University, graduated this year and missing it already.

For future reference (although shouldn't be telling you!) you can park along the small roads just outside the city walls, if you travel into York towards the University and then park along Heslington Road and the off-shooting roads. There are usually a few spaces along there, as long as you don't stay too long and block the residents out. It's free, and only 10 minute walk from the centre.

I wish I was still there :cry:

Thanks Billy... just to mention, your caption - Bill Bailey.. that is my youngsters nick name, my OH affectionately calls him Bill Bailey (real name Bailey) :wink:

ooh, i do love york!!! all our family holidays were to york and the north yorks moors. loved the railway museum but my favourite haunt was always Betty's. I've a friend who teaches in York and i keep meaning to go visit him, and take him to Betty's as despite him being there 3 years he's never been!

Gosh, I've never been and seen the park and ride facility full!!! OH and I were up there a few weeks ago, and it was pretty busy, but we did manage to find space at the far end. I used to get so het up about the car parks in the City centre, as they were always "tight" spaces (I have a Landy and it isn't the easiest thing to park!).

I too love M & S, sadly tho, they seem to have stopped producing my fav cooked meat - "brisket" - it was lovely, but over the past few visits they don't seem to stock it.......

newrider.com