Dark mornings taking over,anyone ride?

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
I often ride in the dark once clocks go back and we lose the daylight hours. I don't have to go on roads and if I decide to its literally just crossing from one field gate to another. Anyone else do it? I have my awesome headtorch and love been out when it's dark and as the sun starts to come up. I know the fields well etc and the horses are so much calmer and more chilled out than in the daylight,will get some ear pics :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I think it is great if you and your horse are confident, but I fear the thoughts of coming nose to nose with our wooly mammoths in the dark would be too much for Stormy and me!lol They are free ranging again atm, they usually live up on the fell but are down here having a holiday. Though good natured on the whole, I think I might scare myself:D:eek:

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Are these wooly mammoths sheep trews? Jack wouldn't like to meet sheep,he is funny about sheep and tilly about cows but luckily I know where they are ;-) tilly goes 0-60 at the sight of a cow!
But they are issues in daylight as well but nothing else bothers any of them in the dark,they are less spooky at randoms things like strange coloured blades of grass! I I end up having much nicer rides :)

Oh you have highlands!!!! I love highlands,tilly would die I think and we would end up at the moon! Jack reacts to sheep in such a way that they can pass as mammoths! I would be more wary of a cow than a bull any day of the week,used to help with the cows,I befriended a bull in the field by our house,he loved carrots and a good groom when I got back from school every evening he would be waiting by the gate,but I never went in the fields when the cows were in with their calfs,they really will kill you if you don't know what your doing,huge respect to them for their mothering skills!

Oh you have highlands!!!! I love highlands,tilly would die I think and we would end up at the moon! Jack reacts to sheep in such a way that they can pass as mammoths! I would be more wary of a cow than a bull any day of the week,used to help with the cows,I befriended a bull in the field by our house,he loved carrots and a good groom when I got back from school every evening he would be waiting by the gate,but I never went in the fields when the cows were in with their calfs,they really will kill you if you don't know what your doing,huge respect to them for their mothering skills!

Aw, bully sounded nice! I know what you mean about the mothering cows - a few years ago, some farmers cows and calfs escaped onto our land and gave me a hard time. They make the most awful braying noise when they are out to get you! Thankfully I was on the quad and out ran them!!!
The highlands seem a bit more tolerant with humans and their off spring. They can still shift if they want to mind!

They are quieter by nature,a lady a few miles along the road has 3 highlands as pets and always says how much more relaxed and laid back they are,I think they are more like the shires of the horse world :) beautiful too!
Ah yes the noise is awful,they really are fierce mothers when protecting their young.
Ah the bull was gorgeous,I called him Gordon,loved him to bits :)

Lol, you could well be suprised,the hunter I used to ride was awful to ride in daylight,he spooked constantly,but in the dark you could have put your granny on him,he was so chilled and relaxed.

I would absolutely love to ride early or late when it's really peaceful. It was my favourite time to walk my (sadly departed) dog - current dog not suitable for long walks (only has 3 working legs), neither can he be relied on not to disappear into the darkness.

We have to go on roads to get to any off-road hacking so can't ride in the dark, but it's something I'd like to try one day.

Tobes, being a few spot appy can't see in the dark - he tested positive for the CSNB gene which means he sees less well than we do in dimpsy and dark.

I agree though with mystiquemalaika - he is peachy to lead out with a head torch on dark winter mornings and nights - he 100% relies on me and doesn't spook at all!! During daylight hours a different matter ...........!!!

So I don't ride in the dark because we can't, but if I had a normal seeing horse, yes, I think I would. Although dark mornings and dark nights just don't do it for me!!

Just mentioning that Aldi are selling the flashing LED reflective armbands at the mo. In the cycling section. I don't ride in the dark. I have enough daylight to ride in. Used to run in the dark tho..... but currently on a running sabbatical....

Can totally understand why you wouldn't with tones sjp,so common in few spot appies especially. It's the same with every horses I've done it on so far though,they are just chilled and it's not because they are unsure they are more than happy to go out,ears pricked and enjoying themselves,it's a really lovely feeling been out in the dark with them. And they really do know where and what they are doing and look after you along the way. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Bodshi sorry to hear you lost your dog,they leave a huge hole,but how amazing your other dog with 3 legs,they are very resilient animals aren't they.

Just mentioning that Aldi are selling the flashing LED reflective armbands at the mo. In the cycling section. I don't ride in the dark. I have enough daylight to ride in. Used to run in the dark tho..... but currently on a running sabbatical....
Will be off for a nosey :) thank you, I am known as the flashing lady round here as I still light myself up as a Xmas tree even if I'm not on the roads! Why are you on running sabbatical? Hope your ok :)

Yes, I'm fine. I always said I'd stop running if I didn't enjoy it any more and to be honest, I regained a bit of weight and felt like I was running carrying a sack of potatoes (I was... but it was me!) Terribly ironic excuse but I stopped and haven't felt the urge to re-commence. Feel very guilty though.....

I haven't ridden in the dark for many years and never on jess but there is no reason I can't at current yard as we can access straight in to the forest, I think I'll give it a go again :p

Yes I ride in the dark at the fields from my yard. I don't go very far and will only do it when the moon is as bright as it can be. I find it very relaxing and it's nice to just amble along without feeling that I should be going faster.

You shouldn't feel guilty domane,if you don't enjoy it then don't do it,life is too short to do things we dont enjoy! And you never look like you are carrying a sack of patatows round on you in your pics,be kind to yourself :)

You convinced me, I picked up some hi viz flashing bands meant for runners in aldi last night and tonight off I went :D
Jess (who I've never hacked in the dark before) was just like she is in the day, a good girly. We only went for 20 mins down the lane and back through the quiet housing estate, I did meet a police car, he stopped and smiled while I passed. I learnt one thing tonight, the coppers round here don't object to my POLITE gear, well not enough to say anything :p

ETA which head torch do you have mystique? Mine was okay but not really bright enough, that's what you get for £1.99 off ebay I suppose :p

That's fantastic :) isn't it lovely!
Love the fact the coppers smiled and didn't object to your polite gear too [emoji2]
So will you start doing it more now then? Makes exercising in the winter sooooo much easier!

newrider.com