Dan's Diary

Dan is a character, mostly an Eeyore type attitude, bless him. He lets himself onto the grass most nights and waits patiently to be let back onto the track in the morning, well mostly, he normally picks the darkest and foggiest mornings to give me the run around o_O the battery on that fence died and I've been a bit slow getting around to replacing it. On Saturday he halfheartedly tried to kick me when I was dithering about with his feet (he's still funny about the left hind), and then yesterday after being hand fed treats by my friends daughter he nipped my finger o_O but promptly stood like a statue for Az to brush him, and hug him and kiss him, so he is redeemed :)
44502912_10156711237632246_2698217374401691648_n.jpg 44617897_10156711237592246_2301981893744132096_n.jpg 44511034_10156711237532246_6875571728349659136_n.jpg

Dan is a character, mostly an Eeyore type attitude, bless him. He lets himself onto the grass most nights and waits patiently to be let back onto the track in the morning, well mostly, he normally picks the darkest and foggiest mornings to give me the run around o_O the battery on that fence died and I've been a bit slow getting around to replacing it. On Saturday he halfheartedly tried to kick me when I was dithering about with his feet (he's still funny about the left hind), and then yesterday after being hand fed treats by my friends daughter he nipped my finger o_O but promptly stood like a statue for Az to brush him, and hug him and kiss him, so he is redeemed :)
View attachment 95346 View attachment 95347 View attachment 95348

Oh my gosh isn't that every little girls dream :)
He is quite a character isn't he, gotta love him :)

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Dan continues his escape escapades, I've given up now really, thankfully he has only ever gone through the middle fence not the perimeter. I made the effort last weekend to check every bit of fence and re-set it all and put a newly charged battery on and it was consistently chucking out 5-6kv but by the morning he was out again :( The last thing to try is a much bigger earth rod, when I find one. I am just praying he doesn't go down with lami as that would be very hard to manage given I can't keep him in :rolleyes:

Dan continues his escape escapades, I've given up now really, thankfully he has only ever gone through the middle fence not the perimeter. I made the effort last weekend to check every bit of fence and re-set it all and put a newly charged battery on and it was consistently chucking out 5-6kv but by the morning he was out again :( The last thing to try is a much bigger earth rod, when I find one. I am just praying he doesn't go down with lami as that would be very hard to manage given I can't keep him in :rolleyes:

Oh Dan! They can be so good at escaping though - my friend's certainly are when they put their mind to it!

Reactions: Jessey
How many earth rods have you got in?
Only one 10" piddly thing as its on my 'mobile' set up. The perimeter fence that he never goes near is the more permanent set up and has one 5ft earth which makes a hell of a difference to how it works, its difficult to get a good earth with our sandy soil.

I've watched a Welshie take the zap just because she was not going to be barricaded, thank you very much. Unfortunately leccy fencing isn't a deterrent to the most determined....like Dan :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jessey
I've watched a Welshie take the zap just because she was not going to be barricaded, thank you very much. Unfortunately leccy fencing isn't a deterrent to the most determined....like Dan :rolleyes:
I think it will be when set up better as he doesn't mess with the perimeter fence, it's just the less good middle one he ignores :rolleyes::)

Woho, he was still there :)

Why is it the ones with white bits are the filthiest ones? Hank always looks soft and fluffy, Dan so often looks like a bedraggled mess.
DSC_1589.JPGDSC_1618.JPG

Reactions: Trewsers
The escaping is getting a bit tiresome, when ever the fence isn't on he's gone, he's fat as a bloody house from all the grass. I had a hay delivery Wednesday so had to turn all the fences off to open the gates fully. I put all 3 down the back and in 2 minutes flat guess who's stood staring at me like butter wouldn't melt :rolleyes:
Thursday morning I was switching Jess' rug out and I think Dan might be a bit jealous of her rugs
DSC_1661.JPG

That's a great pic. Looks like he's just resting his head.
I thought you'd stopped the escape artist.
He was just resting his head in the rug for some reason.
It's stopped as long as the fence is on, but every time the battery gets low or I have to turn it off to do something he's off again. I've been having a nightmare with batteries this past few weeks, they have been good for the last year but suddenly not 1 of them (I have 3 I'm rotating) will hold charge for more than a week, I've checked and rechecked the fences and can't work out what's killing them.

They do break down. You can get them tested. We have a local battery shop that we take them to and they test them for us. They go all of a sudden, or if they've not been used they seem to go. We were told to rotate like you do, and also when not in use keep them regularly topped up on charge which helps preserve them.

newrider.com