Danilon

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Does anyone know how long after you feed it, its at maximum effect point give or take. Im sure it starts to work as soon as you feed it and i know people give one 12 hrs apart. Just wondered if its like an hour or 4hrs say after you feed it.
Want to trial chunky walking out when its at its maximum effect point to see if hes better walking out.

Sorry, I don't know, maybe ask your vet? I'd certainly give it at least an hour or two since it has to be absorbed through the digestive system, if it was almost instant vets wouldn't bother injecting an injured horse needing quick pain relief.

Reactions: Trewsers
If I give Danilon to the girls before the farrier comes (they are both stiff on the back legs) then I make sure it's in breakfast and at least half an hour before she arrives. I think I looked on the manufacturers site and it does say something on there. Let me have a look.......................

I can't see anywhere that it gives you the time to administer before seeing a result. Hmm. I'm sure our old vet used to say half an hour to an hour but I could be wrong.

I would think the same. Half hour to an hour if its like paracetamol in a human. Two to four hours for full effect, then wearing off.

Theres no way i can keep going out to the boys and administer food waiting several hours, and then working him. I just dont have the time. Also worries me that people dont like to feed before riding etc. People say they wouldnt exercise on an empty stomach. The way i see it as the boys are out 24/7 they dont have empty tummies but i dont want to then feed too much food to give chunky guts ache before work.
I usually get the two boys in together and i exercise billy first so he then chills out whilst i exercise chunky. So im thinking if when i get them in i can give chunky just enough food and a sachet. By the time ive exercised billy it will have a hour maybe a bit more to start to work in the system.
If i was riding and leading though it would only have 20 minutes ish whilst i groom and tack up. Id also have to give billy a bit of food too as hed get very jealous if chunky was having and he wasnt. Im sure i can work it somehow.

Just worry that feeding a sachet once a day after ive exercised him, by the time i exercise the next day its no longer really effective. It will be taking the inflammation down inbetween though.

Im just worried hes in pain whilst im exercising hom, im definitely noticing gradual change over the last 8 months, hes struggling. Hes so grumpy with billy if dont take him out at all. He gets jealous of me even grooming billy. If i exercise him though the jealousy stops.

I was originally told like everyone else I suppose not to give hard feed before exercising them, however over recent years that advice seems to have changed. I questioned my old vet about it (probably about five years back) and he said the token amount of feed that madam got would not have any effect at all as in giving her colic or causing problems whilst being exercised. Like you I had to give her Danilon to ensure she was comfortable hacking in walk and doing very very light schooling. I see your problem with Billy needing a weeny bit of food too - you can't really give to one without the other.
I don't think there is any cumulative effect with Danilon - as in yes it will have worn off the next day. That's what I was led to believe when the vet came to do lots of tests on Storm - he told me to not give it her in the morning feed so he could get a true picture.
Do you play about with him in-hand or ride? Just thinking if he likes to work, you could always do some in hand stuff instead of actual ridden? Or a combination? Or you might already do this.

If you feed it daily it does seem to build up in the system and even if just given once a day you don't get to the next dose and look at them and think "you're stiff/sore".

For example Little Un is now on one a day because he's stiff in one hock. He was put on that dose for an injury that seemed to be causing an extreme reaction to his saddle (made no difference, issue was in his head) but it did make a difference to a hind that he was getting heavy to lift to hoofpick and shoe. Vet said to keep him on it for that, which is fine with me, and it makes no difference to him if I hoofpick him an hour or so after he's had it in his tea, in the morning, or just before the next dose is due.

ETA he has bute rather than Danilon, but I don't think there's much difference once the drug has been broken down into a usable form.

If you feed it daily it does seem to build up in the system and even if just given once a day you don't get to the next dose and look at them and think "you're stiff/sore".

For example Little Un is now on one a day because he's stiff in one hock. He was put on that dose for an injury that seemed to be causing an extreme reaction to his saddle (made no difference, issue was in his head) but it did make a difference to a hind that he was getting heavy to lift to hoofpick and shoe. Vet said to keep him on it for that, which is fine with me, and it makes no difference to him if I hoofpick him an hour or so after he's had it in his tea, in the morning, or just before the next dose is due.

ETA he has bute rather than Danilon, but I don't think there's much difference once the drug has been broken down into a usable form.

See I always thought there was a cumulative effect and that it sort of built up over time - but my old vet poo-pooed me on that. Hmm. I think you're right Danilon is just the more palatable one, there's nothing technically different between it and bute. It's interesting reading this - next time I see our vet I'm going to ask, because when Storm re injures I do think the extra Danilon builds up - almost like a pain barrier. (She's on one a day normally but when re-tweaked we up it to morning and night for the first couple of days - sometimes a little more).

I get the impression that bute is actually better than danilon from what ive read but the side effects damage of bute on organs is worse if fed long term.
Im not convinced about feeding him before but i think i need to trial it. I dont want to go to twice a day feeding it but i fear thats where im heading.

Ive accepted that i cant ride him now but if him just walking out is possible then so be it. But im starting to think his finding that hard. Ive tried to do some driving too but his front shoulder is definitely an issue.

I read its out the system after 48 hours. If its doing its job though and helping reduce inflammation then maybe thats why we think cumilative effect, and thats why if they come off it it takes maybe a week before the swelling etc come up. I dont really understand it all.

A cumulative effect would make sense to me given it's an anti-inflammatory and often swelling from inflammation causes more irritation and further inflammation. Reduce the inflammation and you break the cycle. I know my vets have said there's little point in feeding twice a day for maintenance doses as opposed to ones treating acute conditions.

I don’t think the drug accumulates in their body over repeated doses but the inflammation would be progressively reduced, or at least any increase would be stopped.

Feeding fiber before riding is fine, and a little grain even but I wouldn’t want to feed a full feed (kgs) of mix for example. We fed 100 mile endurance horses during the race.

I would expect it to be in the blood within an hour, probably half an hour but it likely isn’t at full effect until half way through the dose cycle, like you can take paracetamol every 4 hours so it’s likely at peek effect at 2 hours even though it’s working in 20 minutes. I don’t remember what the minimum dose cycle is for danilon, I think it’s 8 hours for Bute.

Thanks @Jessey your thinking is my thinking on the time scale.

I just gave him a tiny bit of sugar beet and mix with the sachet yesterday before we went out. He ate that no probs. Rest of his food and supplements when we got back. I only had time for a short lead out walk yesterday and the day before he had a day off so couldnt really tell how he was. Well he actually seemed perky if anything.

It did only take me 20 minutes from the time he came in, ate, to the time we were ready leave. Think i will have to try and faff for a little longer before we go out.

Reactions: Jessey
I now give Klaengur a scoop of TurmerAid every morning. I ride him in the mornings and have noticed that he does not trip now (never picked up his ruddy feet), he is much more straight, and is generally chilled and happier.

(Perhaps I should have a scoop too!)

newrider.com