Daisy Reins??

KAB

Mar 7, 2007
Staffordshire
Has anyone ever used a Daisy Rein? Are they any good? I have read somewhere that they are good for horses that buck. I was thinking of buying one to try out on Taz as he is terrible for bucking in canter. He also head shakes as he is about to buck....i`m wondering whether this will just make him worse. Any advice please x

Daisy reins are primarily used on ponies which like to snack when out on a hack with a tiny person on board, who doesn't yet have the strength to prevent the snacking.

They should not be used to solve a bucking issue, it isn't safe. A horse that shows adverse behaviour, in this case bucking, is trying to tell you something. If you try to restrain the horse you could make him feel trapped and in this situation, being a flight animal. he may panic, fight harder and really give you the full works.

You have to look into possible causes and work your way through them. You must be honest with yourself, if you are not then you will only be fooling yourself and not sorting out the issue. When does it happen only in canter ? Has it become a habit ?

As you can appreciate we do not have much information to go on so in general some things to think about are listed below;

1. The usual culprits; teeth, back, feet
2. Discomfort and pain from the bit
3. ill fitting saddle
4. ill fitting bridle
5. management - stabled for too long, feeding regime is not correct for the workload so he has too much energy
6. they way you ride, if you make him uncomfortable he will want to get rid of the discomfort. Are you hanging onto his head ? does your lower leg creep back ? are you tipping forwards or back etc
7. You may be asking your horse to do something he finds difficult or doesn't understand

Eliminate the obvious causes of discomfort first. It may be worth trying the canter on a lunge first of all to see what your horse does without a rider.

If the horse isn't comfortable then he will not give you his best.

all the best

Im probably covering something which has already been said but I dont reconmend daisy reins for solving bucking, infact they may make it worse.

A pony at my RS wears one because he puts his head down to snack for grass and to sniff the ground but for buckers.... well I've heard they make the horse feel more restricted and actually worse.

Get your horse checked out to see if it is a physical problem... if it isnt then I'd use daisy reins as a very last resort, personally.

xxxKellyxxx

ditto all - except forthe 'oh, but they're useful for...' bit:

i don't like using Daisy Reins fullstop.handsdown.period.

a happy, comfortable and healthy horse does not need a Daist Rein. the most likely culprit is pain (true in 99% of behavioural problem cases), misunderstanding and breakdown in communication and/or the relationship, trauma, or fear.

also . . . 1) they don't work (at least never on the 4 times i've had to ride with one)
and . . . 2) they don't solve the problem, they only treat the symptoms.

so try to find out what is causing your horse to act like this; don't resort to gadgets ad masks, it's guarenteed they will only make it worse and will not solve anything, you mark my words.

think. how would you feel if you, honestly, put yourself in your horse's shoes?

x

sorry but how does my pony putting her head down to graze because my 3 year old cant keep her head up mean that the pony is in pain or fear?

the pony is a cheeky so & so who wants to eat:rolleyes:

daisy reins can stop her doing this,the rider,only being 3 years old, can not!

anyway, no the daisy rein will not stop the bucking.

does your horse do it at any particular time,ie trot/canter/jumping?

have you had saddle/back/teeth checked?

there goes the 1%! :-D

instead of resorting to a daisy rein, though a looseish one may be useul, you could keep her busy without giving her a chance to do it.
it's also a good oppotunity for your daughter to learn to bridge! :)

good luck, whatever you do

x

keeping the pony busy is not a option unless i walk with my hand on her bridle 24/7.

daisy reins have there use & the use they are designed for it to stop small pony's being cheeky like that,rather than teach my children to be heavy handed & yanking on the ponies mouth,i use daisy reins.

bridging reins is not allowed in showing.

Slight aside I know, but may be useful for you Fizz. Tensing the shoulders makes it impossible for the horse to pull you forwards. If I see Daffy about to try and snatch his reins, I set my shoulders and he doesn't manage it. Whether your daughter would have the strength/understanding I'm not sure, but it's worth bearing in mind for the future.

thanks,older daughter can stop her doing it by doing just that but younger one just doesnt have the build or strength yet to do hence the reins for when fizz is being really naughty lol

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Although i dont know much, my gut feeling was that it would make him a little mental putting on a daisy rein to try and prevent bucking. I have tried lungeing him in canter and he does it then too so it cant be my weight on his back that is causing it. I have also had his teeth and saddle checked and everything is fine. He was doing it before i bought him (i wasnt informed prior to buying) so it isnt as if it is something i am doing incorrectly. I`m not the best of riders, rather nervous, perhaps an experienced rider wouldnt have the same problem with him. Well thanks anyway to you all - at least its saved me £13.00! x

newrider.com