Daisy - photo at last

REBMAR

May 1, 2006
Daisy.jpg

She is lovely! And so well turned out - were you going to a show? She has a lovely face, sweet and a bit cheeky looking I think :)

She's 8 yrs old, 15.1 Irish cob, not sure of her parentage but she's CHAPS registered.

I've only had her since mid-April so haven't done any showing yet. This picture is one her previous owner gave me.

I'm growing her mane and feathers with a view to showing her in the coloured, traditional classes. Been wondering what classes we could do really, am I right in thinking I would need to hog her for cob classes??

At the moment we hack out loads and do plenty of schooling in the paddock. She has hunted though in the past but I'm not there yet!!
She's always been ridden by v experienced riders prior to me and she knows I'm not so she really tests me sometimes to see what she can get away with. We're doing well though and have a really good bond already.

how cute is she!
is that a stubben saddle she has there?
has she still got it?
if so do you find it comfy?
i have one and its soooo uncomfy (a bit random, sorry :eek: )

Spotters badge - it is indeed a stubben.
Struggled to find an 18".
I love it, it sits me right in the plate.

Shes lovely - great pic :) Yes you would need to hog her for a cob class but she'd do well, she's nicely put together and shes got really good clean back legs and plenty of bone. You can show her in a coloured class just as she is, plaited.

She looks gorgeous! Such a pretty face and looks in such good condition.

Your very lucky, I hope your enjoying her.

She looks lovely, and very calm.

Before you decide to hog her, see how much mane, tail and feather she grows over the winter. I think she'll make a traditional or a native (less feather which I think starts at the fetlock rather than the knee) but if she doesn't grow much feather, you can whip her hair off at the start of next season.

I show in cob classes and valencias mane is past her shoulders, i think it could be ok as long as it is at local level. She is gorgeous though!!:D

Lovely looking coloured. :D

I prefer them natural too - love the fluff and feathers :D

REBMAR said:
Spotters badge - it is indeed a stubben.
Struggled to find an 18".
I love it, it sits me right in the plate.

um, did you have it fitted recently? Cos it sure as hell looks far too narrow for her now - the front is sitting very high, with huge gap between it and her withers. Balance is all wrong and it should be sitting a good 2inches lower at the front i.e is needs to be much wider.

she is very nice :D
can i give you a bit of personal advise?
Keep her platted and trimmed......some of the big troditonals and really feathery and i don't think she would look much next to them (not in a mean way) but palatted she look really nice.

Pink's lady said:
um, did you have it fitted recently? Cos it sure as hell looks far too narrow for her now - the front is sitting very high, with huge gap between it and her withers. Balance is all wrong and it should be sitting a good 2inches lower at the front i.e is needs to be much wider.
PL are you saying that the reason it's higher at the front is because it's too narrow?

What about the padding under at the back? (can't remember what it's called:eek: )

I agree though that it does look too high. I guess if it was a cut back it wouldn't be as noticable?

I agree with HM, I would keep her trimmed and plaited or hogged.
To me she seems more a 'coloured' or 'cob' then a 'traditional type'.

I thinks its because a lot of irish cobs aren't coloured that the type has strayed away from what a 'traditional cob' type and now is more 'show cob'
Imagine if she was a solid colour, she'd definately be a 'show cob' type.

Thanks for your tips.

Re the stubben - the one in the picture is her previous owners, I got her an 18" second hand, which is great for her.

That good if it's no longer her saddle. You see saddles like this ALL the time - many many people fit a too-narrow saddle (especially to a wide horse) and the balance is terrible. Points digging in and all the weight transfered to the back of the saddle. It's soooo uncomfotable for thee horse and is the cause o 'withers' on many horses who shouldn't really have them.

PL are you saying that the reason it's higher at the front is because it's too narrow?

What about the padding under at the back? (can't remember what it's called )

I agree though that it does look too high. I guess if it was a cut back it wouldn't be as noticable?

Yes, it's too high, but it's not just the height of the pommel, it's the whole balance - it looks tipped backwards - look at the angle of the flaps over her shoulders. Having a cut back head would make it look a little lower to someone who doesn't understand about balance but certainly wouldn't make it fit.

And putting padding under the back? :eek: that is the WORSE thing you can do. It's too high because it's too narrow. Lifting the back just tilts it up so the points ram into the shoulders even more and making it MORE uncomfotable for the poor horse. Rider will feel better though:rolleyes:

newrider.com