Daft question time. WHERE do you measure a horse's height from?

Little Mermaid

Not a Novice Ride
Feb 19, 2007
Hexham, Northumberland
I was 'told' that when I got Thunder he was 15hh, and when I got Turner he was an inch bigger and so I assumed he is 15.1hh.

I rode a friends horse quite a lot and struggled to get on this 15.2 mare.

So I got the measuring tape out and managed to stand up a long plank with a small piece off to one side to measure my boys at the "highest point of the withers".

I'm probably in the wrong place, but I did it twice and I think they are only 14.1hh hahahaha:eek: :D :D :D (They may be even smaller, depending on where I should take the measurement from:eek: )

Also, it's got 15/15.1 on their passports!!! :eek: Will I need to get this changed? I can just imagine THAT phone call!!;)

Can someone explain to this old novice fool at which EXACT point do you take the reading from? A 'put it right here' pointer on a photo of a real horse would be a bonus rather than the basic stick horse drawing off the tape:confused:

I can get my horses height to vary from 13hh - 15hh depending on the angle I hold the tape at :) I don't think there is any easy way of doing it, if you wanted to change their passports maybe get your vet to measure them for you :)

You need a vertical stick with a horizontal slide part to measure accurately, like the sort they use to measue you at the doctors!

A couple of bamboo canes would do it, then mark on the cane and measure the cane with the tape measure, easier than measuring a horse with a tape measure.

Also make sure your horse is stood square on level ground.

BUT... you may actually be right, passports at the moment aren't 100% accurate all the time :rolleyes:

x

newrider.com