Cyclists On Hacks Has Anyone Noticed This Before

cleohorse

Jun 11, 2014
I have noticed a couple of times on hacks that a lot of cyclists do shout out when they are coming up behind me and my horse but they seem to shout cyclist as they come speeding past. Is it just me that has had cyclists do this? To me it seems to go against the point of shouting out. We need them to shout out so the horse know they are there but why do it as you come flying past, as first if my horse is scared of cyclists you have given me no time to get my horse to stop or turn to see you and the horse still gets a shock as there was no warning. I would rather they shout out then not but I wish they would shout out before they come past as I would like time to turn my horse to see the cyclists so he knows something is coming up behind him

Hmm, personally I would just be grateful that they shout out at all. They certainly don't around here!

No don't get me wrong I have had the ones that don't say anything and they are a pain. I just wish they would shout out a bit earlier. I was stopped by a cyclist yesterday who spooked my horse and he stopped me to say sorry and asked me advice about passing horses so its great that some cyclists are trying to be better around horses

Reactions: Trewsers
some cyclists may never of met a horse in their life, its up to you aswell to work on de sensitizing your horse to the issue at hand.

Reactions: Ruskii
For some reason we are overrun with cyclists where we are at the moment. I don't know why but they're everywhere. And to be fair most of them do warn us in time. I suppose it's like most road users, you get some who know about horses and how best to past and some plonkers who don't.

I see a lot of cyclists while out hacking and nearly all of them give a good warning. Some just say Hello, and others ask if it is ok to come past.

Is it me or are bikes a lot quieter than they used to be?

There were a lot of bikers at Borderland Park. Most would say nothing and just fly past.
Your ears would get intune to the sound of a bike on the gravely paths in the distance so you could turn around and generally they would slow down a bit going past / and were a decent bunch of people.
One older creep we ran into FAR TOO OFTEN THERE would act like a real jerk speed up fly past and get really really close to the horses. He was not a stupid kid that would not know better. He was old enough to KNOW BETTER.
So after a couple weeks of his nonsense it was obvious it was DELIBERATE so we reported him to the
park rangers there. Did he change his day to go there who knows. BUT WE NEVER SAW HIM AGAIN.

I once went for a hack in september and misjudged the light and got caught out - so we had to get a press on to be back before proper dark. It was when we were on a yard atop a hill so we trotted the last part and then all of a sudden loads of cyclists came up - with lights on:eek: well, they were very apologetic as they realised our horses had gone from fast walk to canter:p it was not their fault and I thanked them as best I could, madam was just so funny lollping up the hill, don't think she's ever moved so quick! They were a nice bunch of cyclists to bother to call out sorry to us - but I think i was the bike lights that did for the horses......:D

They drive me nuts! They've obviously been told to warn other people in the peloton that there are horses on the road - a couple of weekends ago, a peloton of about 20 cyclists sped past all yelling 'HORSES!' which actually compounded the problem rather than in any way making the road a safer place! They didn't actually slow down or anything helpful like that. Luckily Roxy doesn't care and my friend's horse is a laidback type anyway. They don't seem to realise though that on a narrow country lane, if my horse spooks and spins at your stupid peloton and yelling, several of you are going to be knocked into the hedge! Which reminds me, I was going to email the cycling club and complain. The roads round my yard are filled with bloody MAMILs all weekend - hundreds of them. Some are courteous and thoughtful, but a lot of them really aren't. It would be a nightmare place to keep a horse if you had one that didn't like bikes!

I do a lot of cycling and I can't speak for everyone but be assured if I ever meet you out on your horse I will say hello from way behind, will slow and will ask if its okay for me to pass. If you say no I will wait a distance behind until it is safe. But then I know horses and I know what a frigtened horse can do. My brother on the other hand hasn't a clue. He would slow down and give a wide berth but he always assumed horses could see behind them and no one has ever told him he should call out. I don't think its common knowledge. Perhaps an advertising campaign or similar would be helpful.

They were a nice bunch of cyclists to bother to call out sorry to us - but I think i was the bike lights that did for the horses......:D

I bet lights coming like that would look scary.

They don't seem to realise though that on a narrow country lane

and probably don't care either

My brother on the other hand hasn't a clue

SADLY Many people are clueless when it comes to whats acceptable around horses.

I think quite a lot of cyclissts know that you're supposed to call out to warn horses - round here they almost always shout Hello, and if they don't, I shout to them so they reply. I always thought it was so that the horses know that they're people and not some scary, silent, wheeled horse-eating monster.

Round here you could call them OAMIL's..........old aged men in lycra..........there seems to be a glut of them, never see many under 70!lol must be something in the water:p

Round here you could call them OAMIL's..........old aged men in lycra..........there seems to be a glut of them, never see many under 70!lol must be something in the water:p

The hills round here would defeat all but the exceptionally fit 70 plus brigade. We live at the bottom of a really steep 2 mile hill. I tried cycling up it once and, erm, didn't succeed! I regularly see people collapsed next to their bikes at the top! (I do check they're OK before driving past, despite my antipathy towards MAMILs!)

Round here most cyclists just blast past, on occasion they slow down and silently creep right up jess' backside, since nearly being taken out by about 9 bikes hooning round a corner when she was young she likes to swipe at them occasionally, one day she'll get one and I wont enjoy that conversation with my insurance company :( if only they would call out and give us a wide berth.

newrider.com