CushionBed - urgent yes or no or what?

rosieg

Oct 11, 2009
Hi
Trying to make the big decision about whether to use this stuff called CushionBed. Has anyone used it? I am interested to know if it is really ok for dust sensitive horses if the pee remains in the stable and is only removed once a week .... any thoughts please !

Thanks, R

Hi i've not actually heard of this bedding so have no idea what it is made of but going on the assumption its likely to be a hemp based (or similar) due to wet taken out weekly/monthly opposed to daily, i would guess it would be good - or better than shavings for dust sensitive horses.

In my experience most beddings that are designed for daily skip out and weekly or monthly full muck out are much more dust free and better for dust sensitive horses due to the materials of the bedding and the fact its not being thrown about daily!!

I have Hemcore in one stable and shavings in the other. The Hemcore is fantastic and will switch the other one when i get more rubber mats! The Hemcore doesn't seem dusty at all after the initial laying of the bed and a sprinkling of water (activates the absorption process).

Someone else may pop by with a more constructive response!

I am guessing its like flax?

We moved our dust allergic pony from straw to flax last winter - and can't get our heads around why we didn't do it sooner :D

You either use rubber matting and then put down a small layer to really stop the pee from splasing back when they pee (can't really put it anyother way!)

or - like we do - put down a massive bed (we use 6 - 8 bales) and every day take out the poo - and make fair the bed

Every 2 - 3 months we then dig out the entire bed - awful job! I won't deny that - its a real ewwwwwwwwww job and discinfect out the whole stable and relay the whole bed

in the summer we use bout 3 bales as he's hardly ever in so its a small bed

the wee moves to the bottom and makes a firm but comfy bottom layer - the top stays dry

no smell - at all

no damp or wet

we have had no mud fever problems (we were told by a few that we'd get mud fever as straw dries off the mud and wet and the flax wouldn't?)

his chest is mega improved

mucking out is easier and quicker

I wish I had a picture of our summer bed to show you - its been down just over 3 months now - its coming up this weekend - and it looks like its fresh and new - and smells of - well nothing! Obviously if you dig down to the bottom layer that's not so good! But it compacts down and for most horses stays nice and comfy

hope that helps a bit xxx

I have used it and personally didn't like it. I found it hard to work with and heavy. It is very absorbant though and if you like to deep litter will work well.

I hate deep littering (mainly the digging out job every few months) and prefer to do full muck outs so it wasn't great for me.

However I used it on a pony with a dust allergy and she was fine on it.

isn't it the stuff that's like a sort of fine woodchip? in a white bag with green writing? if it is the same stuff, LF is right and it's heavy to work with, but I didn't find it especially absorbent, so it might not be the same stuff.

We use Aquamax, which I think is a similar concept - basically you put down about 5/8 bags for an average 12 X 12 stable, water it, 30 mins later a lovely fluffy white bed. Then you just remove the poo every day, mix up the wet, top up about once a week. We love it and it's so easy to use. Works out at about £5.85 per bag so seems to be cheaper than most - but we do buy direct and get a pallett at a time (80 bags) and this lasts forever.

www.aquamax.co.uk

Last edited:
newrider.com