Cushings and The Cost of Pergolide - Please Read - Very Important

JKA

Feb 12, 2007
North Wales/North Shrops Borders
Hello.

My pony was diagnosed with Cushing's disease at the start of January. I knew little about it, and was always under the impression that it was a very expensive condition to treat etc. These thoughts were confirmed when my vet phoned up to say he had tested positive for Cushing's and he needed to get on tablets called Pergolide. He said that a box of 100 tablets (50 days supply) was 98 pounds. We were fairly shocked at the price but carried on with it as we wanted to give it a go. Anyway after some lengthy research on the internet, i discovered infact that vets are obliged to inform you if the medication you need for your horse are available from a pharmacy, and that they have to give you a prescription for you to source the drugs chepaer, something my vets certainly didnt tell me.

The vet then upped my ponys dose to 750mcg per day, thus making 98 pounds worth of tablets last just over a month, at which we asked him for a prescription so we could get the tablets, cheaper, he didnt object. We phoned up Boots the chemist in our local town who got back to us with a shocking jaw-dropping price of 19.50 for the exact same tablets, 100 250mcg Pergolide.

Im just shocked and appalled that this is happening right under our noses and vets are profiteering from our poor horses long term illness. Whilst i do appreciate that vets do need to make their morning, this is a ludicrous mark-up. The difference in cost could mean some horse owners would have to make the heart-breaking decision to have their horse put to sleep because of the cost of keeping them in the medication for Cushing's, because who realistically could afford to pay out hundreds of pounds monthly on an elderly pony. I cant believe vets can get away with this, its a disgrace.

Just trying to spred the word as much as i possibly can because this is not a well known fact and the more people who read this, the more horses we can save possibly, i hope that is the case anyway.

Feel free to reply or PM for more details, Thankyou.

thanks for letting us know - i found the same thing when i needed asthma inhailers for my mare. i found i could get them at half the price with a prescription from the pharmacy - its always worth asking;)

Thankyou for letting us know. A pony on the farm has just been diagnosed with Cushings Disease so i will inform her of your psot :)

Yup, I noticed this also when Sam was given Fucidin H cream for a nasty cut on his leg last year. The cream he gave me, and charged me almost £20 for, is the same stuff that my daughter is prescribed for a atopic dermatitis which I could have gotten from the chemist for about a fiver:rolleyes:

I know its not as expensive as ongoing treatment but it just shows you how much they up the prices!

What an excellent thread :)

Just to add to that that you can buy so many human drugs much cheaper too if you don't go for brands and apart from shape and coatings they have are the same with the same active ingredients. Ask at you chemist if there are any cheaper alternatives to what you intend to buy. ;)

Thankyou :)

I just feel its important to spred the word about this as Cushing's is getting quite common now and i know that many people will be struggling to pay the astronomical amounts vets charge for the medication, and some will have no choice but to have their beloved horse put to sleep when there is an easy solution, but sadly it is not widely known, and clearly vets are going to try and keep quiet about it. But seriously, the differnce between 19 pounds and 98 really could mean the difference between life and death. Please pass this information on to anyone who is interested!

Cushings and the cost of Pergolide

I have always suspected and not so long ago discovered how much of a profit vets make on prescribed drugs.

On the one hand most like to be up to date with the latest equipment etc, which is, from the point of view of helping our horses, of benefit, and who better to pay for it than the owners, it could be said.

On the other side of it, we already pay sometimes extortionate amounts of money for stabling, lessons, rugs, transport, the list is endless, and the majority of us do not have a limitless amount of cash, although I sometimes think that vets, and physios etc, with respect, think that we do!

Anyway, I think raising the point that drugs can be bought from pharmacies, with a prescription from the vet is something I hadnt realised, so I thankyou for that. I will also be having a discussion on that score with someone on my yard, if she doesn't already know about the above, as she has a horse with Cushings.

Good Luck!

Roseanne

I think the reason for the high markup, as has been said, is equipment costs. But also, think of a retail chain the size of Boots, or even Lloyd's pharmacy, and compare it to the size of your local vets. Imagine the difference in buying power.

I'm also one that wasn't aware you could get a prescription from your vet to use at a pharmacy, will certainly bear that one in mind in the future.

legally you can always ask for a prescription and vets are not allowed to even charge for it (which is pretty unfair as it takes time and resources).
The mark up on drugs is one area that subsidises the running of the practice, if the turn over there goes down, vets will have to up the prices of everything else in order to generate the same income.
When you consider that 5 or 6 yrs at university plus ongoing furthur education and extremely long hours yeilds an average salary of £30-40k for a vet with a few years experience (compared to £100k and no out of hours for a gp) Dont assume that vets are just trying to rip you off. Just trying to make a reasonable living and provide the facilities and services that people want these days.
Plus As Daffy Dilly says, the buying power of Boots is immense, that sell some drugs (with their mark up) cheaper than vets can buy them from their wholesalers.
Vets will always have your animals interests at heart (whatever else you might think-if they didnt there really would be no incentive to do their job-they could earn more doing something else) and if you tell them you are struggling financially they will always try and help, whether that means writing a prescription or reducing fees in cases of real need.

One of our horses had cushings and when we asked our vet about medication he said he wouldn't recommend it as it is very expensive and horses tend to last a couple of years on it and then have to be pts for one reason or another and that most horses with cushings seem to manage for about the same length of time anyway without taking the medication.

Our horse was unfortunately, pts just before Christmas as he had awful laminitis and it was about 2/3 years after he first developed the symptoms of cushings. Just before he developed the laminitis I found an article about how chaste berry/agnus castus supplements could really help horses with cushings. Unfortunately we never really got chance to try it on our horse but would definately think it's worth a try. I think you can get it from from hilton herbs who do a specific cushings supplement as well as just the agnus castus stuff.

Miggy, I am not enturely sure that your average GP gets 100K a year, and as someone who works in the health service, will also spend years training at uni and will get around 18k (before tax) when I graduate I am not going to defend vets for doing this-after all, it is people like us (the general population who have to struggle to keep their horses, often better than they keep themselves) that pay their wages.

If they want extra money for equipment then they should charge appropriately for the treatments needing that equipment, which often the insurance companies pay for.......now don't even get me started on them! :p

Vicki xx

Human malaria tablets.....£180 for my 4 week trip to Africa, cost locally that my boyfriend bought last time he was there? £2!!!:eek:

I've also been told that the local ones are often better as there are different strains, although you're meant to take them before you go too!

Vicki xx

Before I drag this totally OT, how does this work witha prescription. Obviosuly you don't pay NHS prescription charges [lol to self when realises this could be national horse service] so how do the chemist charge you for prescription only medcines?

Vicki xx

Obviosuly you don't pay NHS prescription charges [lol to self when realises this could be national horse service] so how do the chemist charge you for prescription only medcines?
the NHS prescription charge is just a subsidy you pay instead of the actual drug costs.

If you take a veterinary prescription to a chemist to dispense, I guess they'd charge you the cost of that drug (plus maybe a dispensing fee - worth checking both first) - but that drug price may vary from one chemist to another. Theoretically the competition of the market will bring prices down.

Im not trying to diss vets here, they are worth their weight in gold when your horse is injured etc, and i know that vets have to make their money, and i do imagaine they pay more to their suppliers for Pergolide, but seens as though Cushing's horses will have to be on medication for life, the vets should really just say that you can get the drugs much cheaper from a chemist. I know that we would have struggled to pay 1200 pounds a year on medication. No one really minds paying their vet for really important situations, colic, injuries etc, but for something life long and on going like Cushing's, it should just be made clearer i think.

I found this article on the internet, very intersting read, and something my vets certainly werent following through, and this article was from 2005.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/article.php?aid=68630&cid=397

Just to highlight a few points from this article:

''The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) is also making changes to its professional code of conduct. From November, vets will be required to tell their clients if the medicines they are prescribing are available from a pharmacy. They will also have to provide itemised bills, so medicine costs are distinguished from services. ''

I wasnt told that Pergolide was available from a chemist, neither was the bill for the tablets itemised.

"The most important thing for the animal owner is that they will be able to shop around. In an emergency situation and when a medicine needs to be injected, they are likely to buy from their vet — but in routine treatment they will now be aware they have options," said Watson, citing an example from the report where a vet charged £109.21 for 30 tablets of Cyproheptadine, a drug used for head shakers. The tablets, Watson told Horse & Hound, actually cost just 86p.

This is my point really, it is our right to know.

When our vet suggested Pergolide for our old chap with cushings he advised me straight away to get them on the net and he would give me a prescription for them :D, but even buying them that way, for the dose he wanted him on, it was hugely expensive.
After reasearching the drug and its uses and side effects in humans and animals I decided to manage his condition without, he managed 3 years before finally old age caught up with him just before christmas - but he was in his 30's :)

I knew about the prescriptions because a friend does the same for her dog that has a long term problem. She gets a prescription & shops around

My cushings pony is on chasteberry & diet & has been fine for over 3 years now.

newrider.com