Cushings advice, notes

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Some of you know Chloe has had Cushings for about eleven years. Now she is 32 years young next year so age may well be a bearing in this anyway. But, I have booked her in for the new year to have her blood tested to see if she’s on the right dose of prascend. We haven’t changed it in years. Any of you with Cushings horses, what if any changes did you notice when you altered their meds? Did you actively seek to up the dose because of one single thing? Or symptom? Be really interested to hear anything you can tell me. I will be talking this over with our vet too but would really appreciate anyone on here‘s view too. I am rather worried about Chloe in that she’s lacking in energy and just generally quiet. Thanks in advance.

Sadly with Jim the biggest and earliest symptom that his dose needed upping was laminitis, and he was so needleshy that blood tests were out - it wasn't a case of some oral sedation and he'd be ok, he'd had vets in A&E and so we had no choice but to manage on symptoms.

If she's lacking energy and quiet that's a typical symptom that her dose needs increasing, and if she's been on the same dose for years I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it needs changing.

Sadly with Jim the biggest and earliest symptom that his dose needed upping was laminitis, and he was so needleshy that blood tests were out - it wasn't a case of some oral sedation and he'd be ok, he'd had vets in A&E and so we had no choice but to manage on symptoms.

If she's lacking energy and quiet that's a typical symptom that her dose needs increasing, and if she's been on the same dose for years I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it needs changing.
Thanks for the reply. It just suddenly struck me this morning that we'd never increased her dose. Over the years she's been re tested and they've always said the dose is fine. However, she's had a few episodes lately which got me thinking. Could they be linked to her condition? She's been so quiet of late. And a bit lethargic too. Hmm. I've booked a test for her in the New Year when the vet comes to do Storm's teeth so in a way I'm hoping it does need adjusting. I know she's getting on age wise too, and that could just be a factor in it and nothing really that we can do.

I’d totally agree with checking levels based on the symptoms you’re seeing, those subtle things creeping in are often red flags. It’s also well known that the prascend looses effectiveness the longer they’re on it so the dose often has to be increased over time to keep on top of things. Equally as you say it could just be her age too so best to test so you know ?

newrider.com