crossunder bridle, rolled straps and flat straps

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Ive got a crossunder bitless bridle with rolled leather straps. I seem to have less feel of the horses head when they are ridden in this bridle than when they are ridden in the crossunder with the flat straps, anyone else experienced this?
The difference between the bridles is that when horse has a tantrum they can pull through and leg it with the rolled one, where as they fight a bit then get on with it in the flat leather one.

Oooh interesting! Not heard of this happening before but I expect the psi of pressure would be greater with rolled cross straps rather than flat cross straps. It could be this extra pressure that the horses are objecting to?

(Comparable maybe to using a rope halter versus a webbing headcollar - they work the same way but the rope halter gives out greater psi because it's thinner and round than the the webbing headcollar which is wide and flat).

I would also expect the rolled one to have more pressure, and be able to glide more easily through the rings, but they just seem to make the horse feel like the have no head, and I have no say in anything she does, doesnt help that the rolled straps are rather longer than my flat ones aswell.

Very odd...not sure I can think of a reason for it. Will be watching this thread with interest in case anyone comes up with something! :)

newrider.com