cribbing more in new field.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So before we moved yard sox would crib in the field roughly every 20 mins or so, give or take a bit. Since moving yard we have known of two times when sox cribbed in the field, he was in a herd , they all generally got on well and still do, they all had enough space generally. However they have recently.. last week I believe, moved into their summer grazing, still in the same herd as before. However there field is no were near as big as the other field. The YO has fenced it off and I know she kinda has to, she doesn't want her fence posts been ruined. But this has lend me to think why. Why is it that in the field they were in for winter he was fine and now he has started to get stressed and crib? Is it the field is next door, bar a lot of hedges and to slope below there is a bypass? More traffic then in the previous field? Or is it that the field is smaller and doesn't have as much space as the previous field? Still enough for them to all go charging around and having a good canter. Or a mixture of both?

Or it could be the effects of fresh grass on his belly, new grass can upset the toughest tummy so if hes feeling a little tender tummied perhaps thats causing him to crib more. My neighbours horse has started cribbing again in the field and there have been no changes at all for him, she believes its the new grass growth that upsets him.

newrider.com