Cremello, champaigne, maximally expressed sabino or ???

Casey76

Passionate about Pinto
Apr 30, 2003
Basel, Switzerland
Visit site
I've been puzzling over Julius for months. How would you describe him?

That orangey splodge on his hip is the only colouration he has. Also his fur is very soft, including his mane - if that makes any difference :confused:

47bfe3ce.jpg

263b210f.jpg

I'm going to say, Champagne paint or perlino paint. Definitely not Cremello. Cremellos have blue eyes with no body markings *unless it is a cremello paints, but you don't see those very often. I say champagne because champagnes have brown eyes with pink pigmented skin. AND I say perlino, because perlinos have a rusty colored mane and tail like your boy... and they also have pink skin (but I believe that they are supposed to have blue eyes but not always.) I put the paint on the side because he has a spot or two and it appears that he has brown fur in his ears.... HOPE I'VE HELPED!

Pic of Cremello (BTW, this is the stud my mare,Baylee, will be bred to)
Image2.gif
Image1.gif
chance2.jpg

What a gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous colour horse! :)

I haven't a clue what colour you'd call him.
Cremello's do have blue eyes, so that rules that out. I always thought perlinos had blue eyes too.
Champagnes have amber or greeny coloured eyes so that's a possibility (but the amber eyed ones are usually darker in colour than Julius). And he has a pinky tinge to his skin (or is that just me?) which usually goes with the greeny eye colour.
The appy reference to his markings would make sense. I've never ever seen his colour with spots - I'm quite perplexed (and a lil' bit in love :rolleyes: ).
I want one anyway (and WHO is the horse directly above me? Which stud is he at?).

Last edited:
Cremellos, perlinos and smoky creams all have blue eyes - they're all horses that carry two cream dilutes. So none of them.

Not champagne either; the eyes aren't quite the right colour but more importantly, his skin is not; champagne horses have mottled, pumpkin-coloured skin.

He has dark ear tips too. Although it's unusual to see maximally expressed sabinos with no apparent spots of mottling on the face especially (is there any on his belly, or under his tail?) that seems the most likely explanation.

There are sometimes horses born near to white, or completely white that are from Sabino heritage. Some Sabinos are known to regularly throw this white foals, who are known for having brown or amber eyes, pink skin, and very soft coats, and often chalky skin. They are quite often born with colour on the ears and in the mane, or with other small coloured patches, which usually, but not always fade to white with age.

Unfortuantely I do not have the reference to this knowledge with me because I cannot find my precious book "Horse Colour Explained" by Jeanette Gower, from which I got this info. From memory this seems to be the closest match to the characteristics shown in your horse.

Those white horses are maximally expressed sabinos. It's what happens when sabino is expressed so loudly that there is little or no pigment left on the body (remember sabino is a white pattern that can cause anything from small socks through to big white splashes and extensive roaning).

newrider.com