Cream for bites

augermoon

Jan 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Visit site
Arnie seems to be getting bitten by flies or something under his belly just in front of his sheath area. It hadn't been looking bad at all but I checked it today and it was red raw and had been bleeding. I cleaned it up and put some normal horse antiseptic cream on but is there something I can use which will repel the flies as well as soothe the area? I've used Udder Cream in the past but don't know if that'd be the best thing to use. He doesn't seem narky when I touch it but I'm guessing its really itchy as he pulls all sorts of happy faces when I sponge it off.

Help and advice please.

Most tack shops will stock it, but at inflated prices. Your best bet is internet. I swear by the stuff, I stick it on all Dolly's cuts and grazes. It even helps hair grow back if they rub.

Classic sweet itch symptoms my horse has it in the exact same area ( exept she's a mare). Reaserch it. get a fly sheet with a belly guard, and put "SWAT" on it. that works kind of. I think i might try using Nettex. i just read about it on another thread. what it is, is little tiny nats biting the skin and thae crawling under to lay eggs. keep it covered as much as you can. It's really itchy for them, so when you wash it and scrub it it feels rreeaallllyy good. put on lots and lots of fly spray!!! :)

Last edited:
Rather than flies this sounds like classic tick bites - they love to go for all the areas of thin skin and that area just in front of the sheath is a favourite. Do a thorough search, you may find a tick wandering around - they often feed, wander somewhere to hide a while and then wander back to feed near the previous bite site.

hi when my mare gets bitten on her belly i use some Grape oil mixed with a bit of tea tree to sooth it and it only takes about 12-24 hours to work

and i sometimes use it as a repelant

newrider.com